Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

In an emotional one-on-one with Dr. Phil, Marty breaks down in tears as he discusses his two daughters, 22-year-old Alexandra and 19-year-old Katherine. Find out his thoughts about Alex and Tony’s relationship, and his feelings about bonding with his third grandchild. What does Marty say is his biggest fear? And, Marty makes an offer to Alexandra – if she leaves Tony! Then, hear Dr. Phil’s warning for the father, and get his insight on what he believes Alexandra should be doing right now. And, Marty and his wife, Erin, currently have custody of their 6-year-old grandson, Nathan, and 2-year-old granddaughter, Leilah. Are they raising their grandchildren differently than they raised their two daughters? Plus, a frightened Alex called Dr. Phil producers on her way to the hospital. Find out what caused her trip to the E.R. Get caught up with this family.

Find out what happened on the show.

"Marty is the kind of man who likes to get things fixed — quickly — and move on. He has been working very hard to listen, understand and influence Alexandra and Katherine." Read more of Erin's candid thoughts on her blog.
Comments
Replied By: sivadvc on May 27, 2010, 2:32PM
Let's sum up Alexandra's life to date as revealed on the Dr. Phil Show:

Had 3 children starting at age 15 in 7 years with 3 different men, 2 of whom have a criminal record and prison time under their belt;

Lost custody of oldest child (a son) for a time because she chose to live with a man in violation of an agreement she signed stating the child could not live in a household with a man not her husband, and final decision on custody has not yet been decided;

Custody of second child (a daughter) is being disputed by the father because of allegations that the current partner/fiance choked or otherwise abused the child.  The custody of this child is also not finalized;

Left first husband & father of her second child after allegations of physical abuse on her wedding night, and filed charges against him so he was prosecuted and sent to jail and yet chooses to defend the current partner who is accused of abuse of a child rather than protect her daughter;

Third child, as yet unborn, will be born into a family where no one has a steady job or health insurance, and where there are allegations of abuse by her  current partner/fianace toward the second child;

Has apparently abused prescription painkillers in the past and her mother suspects she still is;

In truth, Alexandra has never really consistently parented her first 2 children.  Fortunately her parents have stepped in for the first 2  and have indicated a willingness, indeed the expectation, that they will parent the third child as well;

Has admitted she didn't want or intend to become pregnant any of the 3 times she has done so and even stated she knew it would be a bad idea to become pregnant a third time until her life was stable, she completed her education and was more mature, and she had a mature, reliable partner.

I think Alexandra will find it hard to become a nurse, or maybe I should say I hope she finds it difficult to become a nurse because I don't think I'd want her caring for me or my family.

Can you imagine her being responsible for passing medications, including narcotics, without helping herself?  Can you imagine her keeping orderly nursing notes and charts when she doesn't seem to be living in an orderly manner?  Can you imagine her providing proper care to ill strangers when she cannot seem to care for her own flesh and blood?

Depending on the nursing school, she may not qualify for admission because of the way she has conducted her life so far.  Admission to nursing programs is especially competitive now, and compared to other applicants who have conducted themselves more maturely, her application won't look so good. And depending on the state, she may not be able to obtain a nursing license with a history of drug abuse, even if she graduates from nursing school.

Replied By: cadescove99 on May 27, 2010, 1:58PM - In reply to johnnyho
I just can't see Alex becoming a nurse. Especially in the CCU at Emory, where my husband had open heart surgery seven months ago. His nurses were some of the most intelligent people I've ever met. I doubt Alex will ever begin a nursing program, much less finish. It's another of her passing fancies, just like marine biology was.

Replied By: cadescove99 on May 27, 2010, 1:46PM - In reply to montamatheson
Extremely telling. Several month ago, when Alex started appearing by satellite, claiming that she'd quit flying at her doctor's advice, I thought it odd, being so early in her pregnancy. She wasn't advised to quit flying until she was eight months pregnant with Nathan. Then ,when Dr Phil has Tony back on the show, Alex started flying again! And, last week, she's suddenly restricted from flying. At, six months! Did you notice that Dr Phil wasn't buying it? Voiced his suspicion that she was ducking him? She pulls out the "no fly" card at her convenience.

Replied By: momisme2 on May 27, 2010, 5:30AM - In reply to retiredgramma
I love my three babies with all my heart, soul, and mind,  They are my life.  My world.  Saying I "love them unconditionally" doesent do the depth of my love justice.

Because I love them so, I will not encourage or support destructive behavior.  I will not be a part of something which will hurt them.  

Thats what being a parent is all about.  

Replied By: friendlyfire on May 26, 2010, 11:37PM
Marty, your whole family has a blog but you. Why? We haven't seen much of you. Why? You have every right to opt out of the spotlight, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is your M.O. in regular life. Fret and growl and posture but do very little about much. I could be so very wrong but weak is the term that comes to mind. Your family needs your inherent strengths. Of course, it's not up to you to fix the world but hopefully you are more present for them in real life than portrayed on television. It would be so appreciated by your loved ones (especially in private).

Replied By: fromthesquare on May 26, 2010, 7:25PM
Dr. Phil has always maintained that their are lessons for many when he speaks to his guests.  They are courageous enough to put themselves out their so that we can all learn from them.  It touched me when Dr. Phil told Marty that the troubles that he is having with Katherine could be like a little patch of rough road with smooth road ahead.  I am clinging to that with my own teenage child issues that I am dealing with.  I may write that down and read it when I am discouraged or hopeless.

Thanks Dr. Phil for speaking to me through Marty.

Replied By: wynn2006 on May 26, 2010, 3:21PM
Now that Erin has had her make-over and really looks great!  What do I have to do to get a make over from all the last 8 years of stress that I have been trough!  I do have a story but I am just so very tired of telling it and just moving on taking better care of myself but I cannot erase the 'stress' in my face.  I cannot afford to pay for a face make-over myself.  I am 66 and a grandmother but probably don't look 66 years old.  I always felt I looked younger but. . . . . . . . .  PLEASE HELP!  Hope you read this!  Ruth

Replied By: susano22 on May 26, 2010, 2:36PM
Wow wee Erin looks like a million bucks !!!! Whatever she has had done, good for her, she seems
a million times lighter and I am sure it is due to looking more relaxed and healthy. I hope she shares
openly who did this great  renewal for her. Susan

Replied By: jamy1234 on May 26, 2010, 1:51PM - In reply to jennybrighteye
Well....I'm still concerned that grandparents have a tendency to spoil their grand children, and like I said, children need love, not things.  I've noticed that Erin still has "anger" some anger control issues concerning "Tony"-I don't blame her at all, Tony would make me mad too, I just hope she keeps working on control when she gets mad.

I agre that their is a subconscience thing "possibly" going on with Marty and Nathan and then Leilah and Erin.  I think Marty has fallen in love with Nathan, because that's the "boy" he didn't have, and of course, maybe Erin wants to start over and try to do it right with Leilah.  I agree that they both should do their best to keep both grand children EQUAL in all ways, even "IF" one of the grand children ends up being a strong willed child.

Jamy

Replied By: canadianna on May 26, 2010, 12:59PM
I think  it's time to consider what can be gained by the you-said-who-said's back and forthing and playing games with semantics - and  focus on the importance of how - thanks to Dr. Phil, Marty and Erin - the immediate needs of two (soon to be three) innocent children will be best met.

I believe the interests of all these children are better served anywhere but with a birth mother whose history is one of drug abuse, child neglect and abandonment and her current partner of choice from whose alleged care one baby girl has been removed because the authorities consider her at risk for harm while he's in the household.

Best wishes to the Dr. Phil family and an update in a few months' time would be welcome.

Showing 21-30 of total 402 Comments