Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

In an emotional one-on-one with Dr. Phil, Marty breaks down in tears as he discusses his two daughters, 22-year-old Alexandra and 19-year-old Katherine. Find out his thoughts about Alex and Tony’s relationship, and his feelings about bonding with his third grandchild. What does Marty say is his biggest fear? And, Marty makes an offer to Alexandra – if she leaves Tony! Then, hear Dr. Phil’s warning for the father, and get his insight on what he believes Alexandra should be doing right now. And, Marty and his wife, Erin, currently have custody of their 6-year-old grandson, Nathan, and 2-year-old granddaughter, Leilah. Are they raising their grandchildren differently than they raised their two daughters? Plus, a frightened Alex called Dr. Phil producers on her way to the hospital. Find out what caused her trip to the E.R. Get caught up with this family.

Find out what happened on the show.

"Marty is the kind of man who likes to get things fixed — quickly — and move on. He has been working very hard to listen, understand and influence Alexandra and Katherine." Read more of Erin's candid thoughts on her blog.
Comments
Replied By: sonyahmaree on Jul 29, 2010, 8:28PM - In reply to jaimemarie
Yes your right. I am sure too that there are many 'bad' older mothers as well as young mothers out there all over the world. Young or old it doesn't matter. What matters is the children and only the children. Your right when you say and I quote "nobody is perfect all we can do is learn from our mistakes and make it better.". Problem is, this is baby number three. Father number three. Same mistake number  three. How many times does she have to make the same mistake before she realises it's a mistake? You only have to kick a dog so many times before it knows where its coming from...I can relate totally to Erins story. My 24 yr old daughter is so much like Alex that it scares me. I am now taking care of my 6 yr old grand daughter because my daughter would prefer to hang out with her drug dealing friends. Her 2 yr old son is with his violent drug addicted alcoholic father. You say your a good mother even though your young. I am so happy that you are and am so pleased for your child/children. It is a shame more parents didn't realise that our precious little people that we create should be first and fore most in out lives. Good luck to you. Love your little ones. They will be in your life forever. Sonyah

Replied By: jaimemarie on Jul 8, 2010, 10:53PM
i don't think her mum is as nice as she pretends to be and its not just her mother its a lot of mothers that do it try to make us look stupid, i had my daughter at seventeen but it don't make me a bad mother if anything there are probably just as many bad older mothers out there than young mothers. Our mothers think that because we are their children then they can tell us what to do with our children and yeah we need support but we don't need to be taken over and made look bad because we are young mothers. Alexander was just a typical teenager that made mistakes like the rest of u have in ur life. nobody is perfect all we can do is learn from our mistakes and make it better. Alexander needs support and love around her not to be put down and made feel like crap.

Replied By: marianparoo on Jun 9, 2010, 6:19AM - In reply to cadescove99
Yes, and people are still writing snide comments and worse about Katherine, and when I call them on it, they ignore that. Yes K's use of drugs is, and I hope was (hoping she stopped) illegal.

But to say that it is worse than putting your lover above your children, a lover who is suspected of  physically abusing your own child, is totally beyond anything I can conceive of.

And you are so right in concluding that if anyone should be judged more harsely it should be Alex, who had children in her care.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jun 8, 2010, 1:24PM - In reply to marianparoo
How can anyone consider Katherine's drug use, with no children involved, worse than everything Alex has done, than negatively impacts her two children, with another on the way? NUTS!
And, wasn't you, several months ago, who posted a message asking if you were alone in wondering if Dr Phil was holding Katherine to a higher standard than held Alex? Maybe you were then, but you certainly aren't now!
Other than refusing to take that one drug test, Katherine has been far more cooperative during both Dr Phil Family series than Alex even thought of being.
Six years ago, Alex never gave adoption the degree of consideration Dr Phil asked of her. She also was given a "baby think-it-over" type doll that cries randomly. And, turned it off! She had no intention of placing Nathan for adoption. Or, facing what she was getting herself into, by keeping him. She was also having sex again, only two months after giving birth.
And, don't forget the drug test Dr Phil told Marty she refused to take!
Dr Phil should hold Alex to a higher standard because of her children.

Replied By: marianparoo on Jun 6, 2010, 12:36AM - In reply to imamosaic
...that the reason he was in favor of Alex keeping Nathan was because he was a he and not a she.

Replied By: imamosaic on Jun 5, 2010, 1:39PM
I don't know about Marty and favoritism of boys over girls.  The new baby is a boy, and I don't see Marty getting all warm and fuzzy over him.

BTW, Erin talks a lot more about Leilah than she does about Nathan.  That is because she watches her more.  Marty watches Nathan more than he watches Leilah.  I think it is all natural and appropriate.  You can't hang on every word they utter.

Replied By: cowgirl220 on Jun 2, 2010, 1:58PM - In reply to ninidon
Glad to know someone else sees it tihs way, too. Dr.Phil called Marty out on his favoritism with Alex and Katharine I WISH he would do the same with Marty's behavior with Nathan and Leilah.

Replied By: ninidon on Jun 2, 2010, 10:23AM - In reply to cowgirl220
One day Leilah will see how her grandpa looks at her brother verus her and feel the favortism, no doubt and that will be truly sad.

Marty does seem to have the ability to only be close to one child at a time. He admitted he'd always favored Alexandra over Katherine. That certainly doesn't build closeness among siblings or unite a family.

Replied By: cowgirl220 on May 31, 2010, 12:15AM - In reply to marianparoo
my point!  I am only stating I find it APPALLING that he shows so much towards Nathan BECAUSE he's a BOY. From the beginning Marty seemed to be wanting to make Nathan the son he never had, it was so blatantly obvious, it was disgusting. I think if Alexx had to have LEILAH first, when he found out Alexx were having a girl he wouldn't have cared that much if she gave her up for adoption.

One day Leilah will see how her grandpa looks at her brother verus her and feel the favortism, no doubt and that will be truly sad.

Replied By: marianparoo on May 30, 2010, 9:42PM - In reply to cowgirl220
...but Nathan is a BOY.

He made it clear when Alex was carrying him and deciding whether or not to put him up for adoption that the fact the fetus was male had a lot to do with his wanting to keep the baby.

But in any case, there is no doubt that he loves Leilah more than her mother does.

Showing 1-10 of total 402 Comments