Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 05/12/10) Did you know that anorexia nervosa is affecting young girls and boys at an ever-increasing rate, and that the mortality rate for 15- to 24-year-old girls with this eating disorder is 12 times higher than all other causes of death combined? At 16, Jennifer was a vibrant, beautiful teenager, a great student and gifted athlete, with hopes of someday traveling around the world. Today, nine years later, Jennifer weighs a frail 90 pounds and battles every day with anorexia and bulimia. Jennifer’s parents, Sue and Allan, and her little sister, Abby, all say they don’t recognize Jennifer anymore and that her eating disorder is destroying their entire family. Jennifer has had more than 50 hospitalizations for severe dehydration, a pacemaker implant at 21, and her teeth are now rotting and falling out. Her family fears she’s on her last days. Could their behavior be contributing to her debilitating disease? How can they combat the problem without enabling her and save her life?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: adamson60 on Aug 25, 2010, 12:57PM - In reply to flrunnergal
I agree with flrunnergal.

Replied By: adamson60 on Aug 25, 2010, 12:53PM
this is disgusting. seems like a spoiled brat issue that should have been addressed long ago. she seems to love all the poor pitiful me attention.

Replied By: flrunnergal on Aug 25, 2010, 11:54AM
This girl loved every second of this.  She was the center of attention and got to talk about herself in front of the whole country.  She got to focus on her disease with everyone watching for 60 minutes! That is the Holy Grail for an anorectic.

One of the problems with treating these individuals is that you put them in a facility that does NOTHING but focus on their issue. THEY LOVE THIS!!!  24 hours a day they get to be sick?  AWESOME!!!  Sign me up!

You need to take away their ability to do this to themselves. Then take away the desire.  Anorectics do this because they CAN!!!  This girl has no job and has the time and wherewithal to sit around all day and be this diesease!  Take THAT away from her.

Replied By: babylena2010 on Aug 25, 2010, 10:31AM - In reply to branwell
;for the record I'd rather die then be fat..... :s

Replied By: happyappy007 on Aug 25, 2010, 8:03AM
In the picture that is posted she actually looks bigger when she was skinny (on the right side of pic)  and thinner on the left side of Pic)  I wonder whey that is, maybe the bones showing make her look bigger. Does anyone out there agree with me?

Replied By: leigh6998 on Aug 25, 2010, 5:44AM
Hi! I have sent one e-mail with no response yet. I am a single mother of an 11yr old boy who is overweight. He just started the 6th grade which means Jr. High on monday. I went to open house on Friday of the previous week and recieved consent forms to sign   whether I wanted my child to watch the Biggest Loser. I was very upset about this and asked my child if he wanted to watch it at school and he immediately responded no. I then talked with other parents about it and felt this is a reality Tv Show and has no buisiness being shown in our public schools. I felt it would be singaling out one gropu of kids and was discrimination. I immediately was flooded with emotions on how my sone would feel knowing his classmates were watching this program at school and how they would view him afterwards. He is on a diet and very consious of his appearance. I called the school board on Monday, but the superintendent of schools was out I left 2 messages and by lunch went to the school board I spoke with an employee expressed my concerns and told them if this was to be shown than I wanted Intervention, a show on Anorexia,Bilemia,Teen Suicide and depression,Bullying etc. shown during the school year so we made sure to cover all aspects that affect our children instead of one reality show singaling out one group of children. All the parents I spoke with about this were upset that they would even think of showing this in school.There are far better ways to talk about nutrition excercise etc. I did reciev a call from the school board and was told it would not be shown after speaking my concerns. Kids can be cruel and we do not need to give them any ammunition to pick on others by showing Reality Tv Shows in school. My son knows nothing about my feelings as I didn't want to upset him. I talked with everyone when he was not around and handled behind the scenes. He told me on Monday his coach asked for the consent forms to be turned in and she didn't mention on Tuesday. It was after school on Monday when the decision was made so I will continue to ask every day what went on in PE to make sure they stick to the decision.

Replied By: mothersb on Aug 22, 2010, 3:50PM - In reply to branwell
The desire to be thin might trigger the behavior that causes anorexia. However, the distorted view of self and size may be caused by shrinkage of the brain that happens during starvation. A certain amount of protein and fat are needed for normal brain formation, size, and function, and the starvation process can deprive the brain of these nutrients. This may be why it is impossible to reason with anorexics and also why they do not see or think clearly and, as a result, continue to perceive themselves as being fat. My own daughter struggled with anorexia for a number of years, and one doctor suggested a shortage of protein and fat in her brain exacerbated the condition. When she returned to a normal diet, her symptoms left.
It would be interesting to know if concentration camp victims have had similar reactions to starvation. It also would be interesting to know if the brain shrinkage that can accompany the aging process (thought by some to be a cause of Alzheimer's disease) would show certain similarities between anorexia and Alzheimer's disease. I have noticed most people who have Alzheimer's disease (among my acquaintances) are those who always have been thin. It could be their bodies have less protein and fat in reserve, and when the loss of far occurs during the aging process, there are changes in the brain that bring on Alzheimer's.

Replied By: hpmx59 on Aug 21, 2010, 3:59PM
Be Doctor Dying Phil/Robin Thin To. Well Well Well here we go sgain  anottener round of this show. See---- you on August 25th, 2010 Wednesday. Sincerley Your. Russsell Vlaanderen.-----------------------------------------

Replied By: tnabus on Jun 10, 2010, 6:51AM
D

Replied By: gr8daytoday on May 26, 2010, 5:05AM
Dr. Phil sent Jennifer to Center For Change in Orem, Utah

Showing 31-40 of total 107 Comments