Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date" 05/05/10) A mother is considered a great nurturer and protector, but what happens when the bond between a mom and her daughter is fractured? Jessica says her mother, Georgia, is manipulative, selfish and a liar, and they haven’t spoken to each other in three years. Jessica claims that her mother not only stood by and allowed her husband to abuse Jessica, but that she took part as well. Jessica’s stepfather categorically denies the allegations. Plus, Jessica says that she was placed in foster care after revealing a horrifying family secret, and her mom didn’t even visit her! Georgia refutes the accusations and says her daughter won’t accept her apologies because she wants to live in the past. What’s really going on with this family, and can mother and daughter heal their broken relationship?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: farmhand1 on Aug 22, 2010, 3:45PM - In reply to mapbella
Sometimes we do have to exclude people from our lives to feel peace. Believe me, I DO understand!!! I am glad you found it. Maybe Jessica will some day.

Replied By: farmhand1 on Aug 22, 2010, 3:32PM - In reply to muibonita
And they are. I agree. Sometimes it is just better. Sad but true.

Replied By: bettejg on Aug 12, 2010, 6:12AM
She's textbook sociopath, and the daughter will never get what she needs from her mother.  What ever happened to TELL IT LIKE IT IS DR. PHIL??  I can't believe that he never confronted Georgia!

Replied By: muibonita on Aug 12, 2010, 3:13AM
There's a point, at which, it is okay for a parent to sever ties with their child.  This sounds like it should be!

Replied By: fraujoolie on Aug 11, 2010, 7:25PM - In reply to mismarlyn
The mother can't make one apology in the course of a 40-min show, and then everything is okay. The girl is hurting, because her mother failed her again and again. It will take years to rebuild, if the daughter can let mother back in. It's all about healing hurt and rebuilding trust. She is closed off, because she is still hurting.
Been there, doing that.

Replied By: fraujoolie on Aug 11, 2010, 7:16PM
Jessica and others who also bear witness,
I don't know if you are reading this. I don't know if all the others that have been through similar trauma are reading this.  I know your pain.  I know your story.  It is so similar to mine. I grew up in an abusive home, with an emotionally cold and mean mother, alcoholic absent father, and abusive brother.  My brother, six years my senior, sexually and physically abused me for many years. It finally stopped when he moved out of the house. My dad had left a few years before, divorced. A few months after my brother's departure, he attempted suicide. I was fourteen years old. My mother refused to get my brother any help. She did want him to move back home, though. Instead, I put my foot down. I told the truth why I didn't want him back at home - he was abusing me. My mother didn't believe me. She told me that I was crazy, and to shut up about it, otherwise news like this would kill my beloved grandparents. So I shut up. And I endured.  I told my father about it years later. He has never asked me any questions about it, and has never brought it back up. I have brought it up several times, in fact, and he just changes the subject. I don't think he wants to believe me, and I don't think he wants to accept any sort of responsibility.  I have never confronted my brother.  I tried once, and he physically forced me out of his home.
I was smart enough at 14, to know that I needed to build my own future. I did well in school, got into college on scholarship, studied abroad, finished a graduate degree, and now I have been a teacher for 12 years. I have a wonderful, supportive husband and 2 year old son (and one on the way!).
Jessica (and everyone else), my heart goes out to you.  I confronted my mother in her therapist's office a few weeks ago, quite similar to your experience with Dr. Phil. She continues to deny any knowledge, and involvement, and any responsibility. I even learned something new -- there was a CPS cover-up when I came out with my truth. I came out to her therapist (at the time) with the story of abuse. Rather than getting us help, there was an agreement struck between my mother and the therapist -- if my brother didn't move home, she didn't have to report it. It floored me. I had also told two teachers about the abuse, as all this crap was unfolding. Again, nothing was ever reported. There are mandated reporters in the world, and these mandated reporters ignored their duties, and let me continue to be hurt for years. I am furious about this.  My family continues to pretend that everything is okay, and things really are not. Not at all. I can't play along with these games anymore. I really just don't see anyone anymore. It's sad, because I really love my 91 year old Gramma, but I just can't stomach being around my abuser and his enablers.
The one thing that is different between us, is that I would not feel bad when my mother dies. I have told my husband, I will be the first in line to kick her into the grave. She is worthless to me. It's too bad, she really seems to want to have a relationship with me and my son, but she doesn't want to do the hard work of admitting responsibility, apologizing, and rebuilding trust. She just wants to assume the facade of a perfect mother-daughter relationship. It's sickening. I can't stomach it.   Jessica, I am impressed with your strength and ability to forgive. I can't forgive.

Replied By: thiele on Aug 11, 2010, 5:53PM - In reply to sam1280_1
Just had to sent you a message to say dont ever give up - as you said you were there for your son all his life. Is he married? - if so you would probably find that the venom is coming from his wife. My daughter married someone who cut her from her family and friends because he was so jealous of the love and affection she gave us. My husband and our son and of course me, have been so hurt with not seeing our daughter in ten years (since she married him). It was her first boyfriend and she was 26 at the time. She was a quite, good living girl and loved us all just so much. I sent cards and gifts for 8 years and heard nothing from her, we can't even phone her because she doesn't answer the phone. This will be the second year I have not contacted her and I will never give up on her. The last letter and gift I sent her, I told her never to feel alone because we are always here for her. The sad thing is that we have not even had an arguement - he does all the talking for her. Anyway, always keep your door open and I wish you luck.

Replied By: ricileigh on Aug 10, 2010, 7:24PM
This show hit close to home. After watching it I realized what I want most from my parents, especially my mother. To have them tell me what they did to hurt me all my life...to admit their own mistakes to me & to others...especially the things that were done when I was a child. I think it would be more meaningful and validating than to have someone just answer to your accusations. I think if that mother were truly remorseful & really got what her actions did to her daughter, she would have volunteered the information instead of responding to what her daughter was saying. And I'm tired of people using their past as an excuse to continue the chain of disfunction & abuse in their own families.

Replied By: mapbella on Aug 9, 2010, 8:56PM
As I was watching the show today about Jessica's and Georgia's family situation I have to admit it brought back several unpleasant personal memories.  I also had to severe the ties between my mother and one of my siblings.  I haven't spoken to my mother for over two years now and way over 5 years with this particular sibling.  I have asked myself the same question you've asked Jessica about how she would feel if her mother died without their dispute being resolved.  My answer came to me without no hesitation at all.  My mother has been dead to me since I have closed the door on that chapter of my life.  She has always been the instigator with almost all family problems.  Since I have severed the ties with her, I have to admit that I felt a weight off of my shoulders.  I miss the <picture perfect> mother that you see on TV.  I long for that kind of mother that I know I never had and never will have.  I doubt very much that Jessica and Georgia will ever be able to <patch> things up.  Some things are just too much to forgive or forget.  The last thing I told my mother was that I hope that God could forgive her for I certainly didn't have the strength to do so.

Replied By: daataylor on Aug 9, 2010, 8:35PM
Jessica was telling my story.  Although I didn't have the physical abuse, Iwas approached one time by my mom's boyfriend. She believed him over me. Even now as an adult and a parent of a daughter, I still can't believe that she did that to me. I have let it go I have gone on. I don't have much of a relationship with my mother. But it is something that you never forget.

Showing 1-10 of total 251 Comments