Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 04/28/10) How would you feel if a sex offender moved in next door? Dr. Phil’s first guests, Susan and Barry, say they grapple with that question. A convicted sex offender recently inherited a house on their street, and the couple, who have a 4-year-old son, says it’s their mission to force him out of their neighborhood for good. Then, when Robert was last on the show, he revealed that his 12-year-old sister, Robin, was raped and murdered by sex offender and serial killer, Rodney Alcala. Robert weighs in on the rights of sexual predators. Plus, Dr. Phil talks to Jake, a convicted child molester who served five years in prison for molesting his 3-year-old daughter. Jake has an unlikely supporter — his son, Paige, who says he’s also a victim of molestation.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cowhaulerdiana on Nov 4, 2011, 5:53AM
we recently found out a violent sex preditor and a child sex offender is living with yards of our back door. we recieved a letter from the sheriff office stating a meeting will be held 1.5 months after hes been here. the letter clearly states what we cant do to the preditor  but says nothing of our rights to keep our children safe. i went through a rape years ago and now my skin is crawling to think hes in my backyard. the letter states that he his highly likely to offend again and he has done so twice now. WHAT CAN I DO

Replied By: rollroland on Mar 4, 2011, 10:57AM
This is an extremely serious and daring topic. But is it right to label sex offenders as sex predators? I don’t think so. It is easy to say; lock them all up and throw away the key, but reality is more complex than that. Labelling sex offenders as predators, what kind of message do you give towards offenders that try to improve their lives? When does it become a witchhunt, when someone who is 16, immature, made an offence in puberty one time, gets the same label as someone who is 30 and does it many times? By stigmatizing sex offenders, chances become higher that they fall into the same mistakes again. In the show there could be some more sensitivity towards that. Plus; shouldn’t you want to know if a murderer lives next door? The chances of murdering again are higher than with sex offence. I think a valid point was made and dr. phil did not take her very seriously.

Replied By: panzas1010 on Aug 25, 2010, 10:31AM - In reply to caitriona4
And that's something that frustrates me to no end.  People are extremely ignorant and over-react to very basic, normal things that happen in life.  There is nothing wrong or dirty about sex, it's okay to wonder or have questions, because that's what opens up the lines of communication between parents and their children. Curiosity and trust that your parents will be direct, honest, and respectful. Parents can teach young people whatever they want, but THEY have to be comfortable treating human sexuality as something normal, healthy, and beautiful themselves; but there are boundaries, just like every healthy behavior. And children are capable of understanding the very simple concept of boundaries.

It's important to look at the big picture.  I'm sorry, but this country was created by a "puritan" society, and the fact that they don't know enough about healthy human behavior either doesn't help--at all!  With children, it's not even as much what you say, it's how you say it.  When my kids talk to me or ask me questions about biology and sexual function, I answer them with the same tone of voice, facial expressions, and body language that I would if they asked me a question about income tax laws:  Matter-of-fact, accurately informative, and what I like to call a simple "part of life".  But I always wrap up what I've just told them with "and that's what's going to happen WHEN YOU GET MARRIED", so that's the last thought in their minds--just file away what I've said to you until you qualify to put it to good and appropriate use.  

I asked a very "religious" man what he thinks about talking to his children about sex and sexuality?  He started acting like I asked him to chop his children into pieces and sacrifice them to a tree!!!  Whoa!!!  Why, if God doesn't want us to know about things like this, would he have put an ENTIRE BOOK (ever heard of the Song of Solomon???) in the bible about it?  And that book, my friends, is even though poetic in nature, VERY GRAPHIC! ;-) There was never an age that was specified in the bible as "appropriate" for adults to discuss these principles and issues that are raised in that book with their children by God.  Who are you (anybody) to question him?

Replied By: faeryedark on Aug 25, 2010, 7:38AM - In reply to caitriona4
Thank you for showing another side of this. i don't know what state you are in but, in many states you can petition the court to be taken off the registry.
 It's at least something to look into if you haven't.  It sounds like your son is a prime candidate for it., esp. if you cn get the backing of his SO therapist.
 The registry is so  so flawed and your son is just one more person for L.E. to "keep an eye on" ...when there are true preditors out there for them to worry about.

Replied By: caitriona4 on Aug 24, 2010, 9:09PM
My adult son has been a registered sex offender since he was 12 years old.  He touched his little sister while reading a bedtime story 1 night and I told my ex.  I took him to the pediatrician, he talked to them both, no harm, no report, my ex was livid and insisted we see a professional psychologist, he also agreed that it was a single curious event, mind you my son was 10 and my daughter was 4.  That wasnt good enough for my ex so he contacted social services and 7 months later the police called me at work on a friday night and told me to take all of my children to the police station or they would go pick them up.
In the following months my 10 year old was charged and adjudicated of aggrevated sexual assault because my son answered the question, did you put your finger in her vagina, with a yes.  He didnt even know where it was at the time!  She was submitted to video taped sexual examinations and STD testing etc etc. 
He was in therapy for 3 years and during the entire time his professionally trained in sex offenses psychiatrist said he doesnt even fit the model he is so low on the scale but the state attacks these people, children, with the same venom they do the predators......there is a difference!!! 
Dr Phil is doing nothing but stirring the pot rather than showing both sides of this situation.  It is hysteria and he is fueling it.  My son will never be able to watch his own children in school activities.  He will have to register in every city or town he lives in for the rest of is life. His name was on the list in the middle school and high school where we live.  We made it a point to go and speak to all the administrators every year.  Do you have ANY idea what that is like for a 10, 11, 12 year old child? 
There is a HUGE difference between offender, predator, and there are little kids registering for the rest of their lives!!!
And he will never, never have that on his show because it isnt as fun to hear!!!  he has an ignorant audience and is making them look smart.  As the mother of a registered sex offender I KNOW the facts!!!
If my son had planned and murdered his sister he would have been off the hook.  But now he has a ruined life, in part thanks to his father, but certainly thanks to all the people who only see and hear what they want to see and hear.

I am an educated, professional woman with other children in the house.  All of our lives have been affected and I struggle daily with the thought of what my son's life could have been if it hadnt been for so many people insisting that there is only 1 extreme response to a "sex offender".  Society cannot appy the grayscale to sex offenders that they do to murderers.  Oh, and I worked in a 3000 adult male maximum security prison and know the difference between a good and bad seed, thank you very much......

I only hope that some of you will hear this and realize that this sort of thing is a prosecutors heaven!!!  Guaranteed a conviction, adjudication, because the judges would never jeopardize their elected postions and take a stand.  Is Dr Phil strong enough, or just out for the ratings?  We'll see......

Replied By: caitriona4 on Aug 24, 2010, 8:49PM - In reply to panzas1010
My adult son has been a registered sex offender since he was 12 years old.  he touched his little sister while reading a bedtime story 1 night and I told my ex.  I took him to the pediatrician, he talked to them both, no harm, no report, my ex was livid and insisted we see a professional psychologist, he also agreed that it was a single curious event, mind you my son was 10 and my daughter was 4.  That wasnt good enough for my ex so he contacted social services and 7 months later the police called me at work on a friday night and told me to take all of my children to the police station or they would go pick them up.
In the following months my 10 year old was charged and adjudicated of aggrevated sexual assault because my son answered the question, did you put your finger in her vagina, with a yes.  He didnt even know where it was at the time!  She was submitted to video taped sexual examinations and STD testing etc etc. 
He was in therapy for 3 years and during the entire time his professionally trained in sex offenses psychiatrist said he doesnt even fit the model he is so low on the scale but the state attacks these people, children, with the same venom they do the predators......there is a difference!!!  Dr Phil is doing nothing but stirring the pot rather than showing both sides of this situation.  It is hysteria and he is fueling it.  My son will never be able to watch his own children in school activities. 
There is a HUGE difference between offender, predator, and there are little kids registering for the rest of their lives!!!
And he will never, never have that on his show because it isnt as fun to hear!!!  he has an ignorant audience and is making them look smart.  As the mother of a registered sex offender I KNOW the facts!!!
If my son had planned and murdered his sister he would have been off the hook.  But now he has a ruined life, in part thanks to his father, but certainly thanks to all the people who only see and hear what they want to see and hear.

I am an educated, professional woman with other children in the house.  All of our lives have been affected and I struggle daily with the thought of what my son's life could have been if it hadnt been for so many people insisting that there is only 1 extreme response to a "sex offender".  Society cannot appy the grayscale to sex offenders that they do to murderers.  Oh, and I worked in a 3000 adult male maximum security prison and know the difference between a good and bad seed, thank you very much......

Replied By: panzas1010 on Aug 24, 2010, 3:34PM
I have 3 children, and believe that predators go for innocent, naive, and ignorant children, because they are the most vulnerable.  I spoke to my daughter about her body, her personal space, and her privacy from the time she was 2.I would bathe her--in front of her older brothers and speak openly and without hesitation about human anatomy and sexual functions--including what and where such behaviors are appropriate--to all of them.  Her brothers were familiar with their own body parts and the functions of them, so they enjoyed being part of her education process and her support system if she had any questions or concerns.

So it was easy to move the conversation into the principles of violation:  all of my children know that NOBODY has the right to touch them.  They have EVERY right to defend themselves, even if it requires assault in the process.  My now 10-year-old daughter says, if you ask her what to do if any man (other than her husband) tries to touch her intimately: "KICK HIM IN THE NUTS-HARD, SCREAM, AND RUN AWAY!!!!!"
Education and open dialogue is a wonderful thing, and don't ever underestimate your children.

Replied By: faeryedark on Aug 24, 2010, 11:28AM - In reply to taytay4
amen! Thank You!

Replied By: taytay4 on Aug 24, 2010, 6:59AM - In reply to feduplaws
thank you!

Replied By: taytay4 on Aug 24, 2010, 6:57AM
okay, sex offenders are judged for a reason, but on the show the couple in the audience was speaking with such HATE that i couldnt even watch it. maybe they did something wrong, but they are still people and if they do treatments etc, they should be treated as much! i am so angry with the disrespect people give them, everyone deserves second chances! that couple though, such BULLIES! like fuck, i wanted to just scream at them. you cant just bully someone out of an area just because you feel uncomfortable, like , screw off.

you cant just send people to an island and forget about them like some diseased animal, that is not right and i dont CARE what they did they are people. when i see someone talking in such hate and yelling it just makes me sick. just sick.

Showing 1-10 of total 396 Comments