2010 Shows

The pressure to be thin is immense in this country, and the media bombards us endlessly about losing weight. Dr. Phil and his guest panel representing both sides of the issue continue the heated discussion about the treatment of fat people in society. John Pinette, an overweight comedian who often pokes fun at his size in his act, adds both insight and levity to topics ranging from banning cupcakes in classrooms to the size of the U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Regina Benjamin. And, could you be obese and not even know it? Learn a simple way to determine if you fall into that category and the severe health consequences you may face. Plus, emotions rise when the audience weighs in! You don’t want to miss the conclusion to this highly charged show!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: viewerinpa on Apr 14, 2010, 7:21PM - In reply to d8lirium
I will talk to my doctor about it. I practically eat vegan anyway so I don't see how it could be much different. One problem is that I can't eat nuts & seeds and I also can't eat many beans, and isn't that where you get most of your protien? I will look into it further. Thanks

Replied By: dcruse101 on Apr 14, 2010, 2:38PM
Dr. Phil,
I've lost 180 pounds so I can see both sides of this debate. I do remember being passed over for promotion at work and feeling the hurt from discrimination because of my obesity. I remember feeling the eyes staring at me when I went to the grocery store. I remember feeling embarrassed to purchase cookies while at the grocer. I felt as if it didn't matter how many healthy items I had in my cart, people would see the cookies and judge me immediately. Since losing the weight (I still have about 20 pounds to go), I understand that yes, there is discrimination against obese people. However, I also believe that more than the discrimination, my self-image hurt more. It was me that let the discrimination, comments, and looks hurt. I also believe that people like Meme are insensitive to others. It is harder to lose a lot of weight than anyone can ever imagine. I think it would help Meme to become more sensitive and less judgmental if she experienced the struggles that come with obesity herself. It is funny how we don't understand someone else's pain until we've been there.

Replied By: d8lirium on Apr 14, 2010, 11:23AM - In reply to viewerinpa
i think you should try ging vegan for a month...it limits your fat and sugar intake like no other diet...animal products stay in your system for a very long time whereas the fruit and veggies go right htrough after the body removes the nutrients.   i am not over weight but when i went vegan years ago...i dropped many lbs of fat.  try it for a month...it works.  it is a good jumpstart and you will notice how much better your body feels.  and if you dont no harm no foul.  a heavy friend of mine is doing it this month and so far so good.G

Replied By: viewerinpa on Apr 14, 2010, 9:50AM - In reply to ndlptdes
To ndlptdes, d8lirium, catherine30 and those others who agree with their thinking.

It’s difficult to have respect for people who show no respect to others. Apparently people just believe what they want to believe no matter what anyone tells them. Don’t judge me, or others like me, till you’ve walked 10 feet in my shoes. And don’t put people together in groups and decide just because one person acts a certain way or does a certain thing means others do the same. I am obese…..have been since I was 6 months old. I don’t blame it on anyone. I don’t have low self esteem, in fact I like me and I respect me. I am not saying I like fat or being fat, so please don’t put words in my mouth. I just like WHO I am, not how I look. I don’t know where genes come into the picture. Do I have obese relatives and ancestors? Yes, many. But I have more thin ones, so does all that mean anything? I don’t know. I DO know that I am not lazy, I am not stupid, I am NOT addicted to food, and I have tried everything under the sun to lose weight. I have lost LOTS of weight on LOTS of diets (every one worked to some extent) so I obviously have will power and self control. I have even had GBS. I am NOT a big eater. I can’t eat anywhere near as much food as my friends and relatives, nor do I want to. I don’t even like to stop working to eat. In fact if I’m any kind of “aholic” at all I’m a workaholic. I don’t smoke or drink….ever…. and I do love healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables. In fact I like vegetables so much I don’t usually even put butter or salt on them. I almost never eat fast food and I don’t drink soda. I’m also not a big meat or pasta eater. I am currently on Weight Watchers (again) and my main problem with the program is eating all the food I’m supposed to eat in a day. Most days I just can’t do it and then I’m told I’d lose more weight faster if I eat all my food….and I DON’T GET THAT CONCEPT AT ALL! It totally blows the low calorie theory out of the water. I do have very bad arthritic knees and can’t do much standing/walking type exercises, but I am a very active “sitter”. In fact last year when I had to go to rehab for a knee problem the therapists couldn’t believe how agile I was. I can twist in all sorts of ways as long as it doesn’t involve bending of or pressure on the knees.

So…..al you “know it alls” out there who think you have us all figured out and you know what we have to do to lose weight would you please tell me what I’m doing wrong? You obviously have ALL the answers and you obviously have lost loads of weight in your life. You’ve obviously “been there/done that” since you know so much…so please share your secrets to success with me and the rest of us who just haven’t had the success you’ve had.

Replied By: kayjaye on Apr 14, 2010, 6:51AM
Dr Phil,

With all the focus on obesity and people being insulted by being called fat I have something to say. First off, put the damn fork down. If I wake up some morning and can't see my feet....I'm gonna stop shoveling it in! Second, the comment about the skinny minnie DID offend me. I have been thin all my life and try as I may, my weight does not go above 115. Us thin people DO understand how hard it is to control weight and I'm just as unhealthy as the overweight people. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease and an ulcer! Everyone concentrates on the overweight and says it is because of the health issues that accompany it most of the time. It happens when you're not overweight as well and no one ever has a show about what to do about being underweight. I'm not talking about anorexia or bulemia, just a natural tendency to be 'skinny'. I'm just wondering if anyone (hint) will ever address that on a show!

Replied By: d8lirium on Apr 13, 2010, 4:06PM - In reply to ndlptdes
i completely agree with you.

Replied By: ndlptdes on Apr 13, 2010, 3:35PM
I am 71 years old.  My mother and my sister were overweight.  I knew at an early age that I had
to watch my weight.  I am repelled by obese people.  They do not show any will power or
self control and I feel have a very bad self image.

It is difficult to have respect for people who have no respect for themselves.

Replied By: d8lirium on Apr 13, 2010, 2:00PM
i have noticed a common theme amongst my heavy friends and that is a lack of will power. i am vegan...proble solved.  you will never see a fat vegan because we eat healthy whole foods, not fast food and soda.  i truly believe that a reasonable healthy diet and exercise will keep people from being fat...the problem is that fat people dont care enough to be skinnny...baring those with thyroid or other medical conditions.  being fat is however not usually a disease but a personal choice rooted in laziness.  i dont intend to be mean but it is my intention to be blunt in my observations.  i was having a conversation the other day with a woman who s being kicked out of the military for being to fat.  i told her that i could create a vegan meal plan for her and that combined with a yoga schedule she would lose at least 20 lbs in a month thereby saving her career.  thisyoung woman told me thanks but no.  she would rather lose her career than stop eating cheese for 30 days.

Replied By: angela78peck on Apr 13, 2010, 7:42AM
HOW CAN ANYONE BE SO INSENSITIVE. HE IS A BULLY. i AM OVER WEIGHT AND I HATE IT BUT I AM BEAUTIFUL AND I AM VERY HEALTHY. I AM ME AND THATS THAT! IDK...I WOULD NOT WORK OUT WITH HIM IF HE WAS FREE. HAVING SOMEONE THROW TWINKIES AT ME...ARE YOU KIDDING. I LOVE JILLIAN AND I THINK SHE IS FANTASTIC. KEEP UR HEAD UP PEOPLE.

Replied By: catherine30 on Apr 11, 2010, 4:49PM - In reply to viewerinpa
My sister has weighted 320 pounds most of her life. She admits she eats an entire pot of spaghetti and a whole loaf of bread with it. A person has to take in 3-4 times as many calories as they burn per day in order to get that much fat onto their body. The problem with holding alcholics, drug addicts and smokers accountable for doing an addiction and letting obese people make it up they have some gland condition, is that it gives people who are doing an addiction a free pass and it gives them a free pass to abuse thin women who do diet and exercise, which is so mean. Now that I see the excuses overweight women make, they are offended by anyone talking about the food addiction as an addiction, trying to cover it up as a medical condition, I'm with the guy who says No Chubbs. I just changed my mind. As long as overweight women lie about doing an addiction, they have an excuse to continue to abuse thin women. It's not okay.

Showing 11-20 of total 361 Comments