Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

Dr. Phil sits down with Marty, the father from the Dr. Phil Family, to candidly discuss the chaos in the lives of his daughters, Alexandra and Katherine, his troubled marriage and how life has changed since his grandson, Nathan, went to live with his other grandparents. Dr. Phil drills down to find out what’s at the root of Marty’s anger and shares a powerful message with the father. Then, for the first time, Marty and his wife, Erin, face off in front of Dr. Phil. Hear her complaints and frustrations about Marty. Can Dr. Phil save their 24-year union, or will it cave under the pressure from past infidelities and parenting frustrations? Dr. Phil tells the couple what they must do to save their marriage, but will they agree to do it? And, find out the biggest mistake couples make when deciding to divorce. Plus, join the DrPhil.com community and chat live with Erin!

Erin shares what she learned about her relationship with Marty by completing the Relationship Behavior Profile. Read her blog.

Examine your feelings about your relationship, your partner and yourself. Answer the questions in the Relationship Behavior Profile.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: canadianlady on May 1, 2010, 8:53PM
Hi Marty....I wanted to reassure you that your grandson and
grand-daughter will always have a special place in their heart,
  I'm now 66 years of age, I went to live with an
older couple when I was two years old and unfortunately
the woman that looked after me died when I was nine.
To this day I still remember all the nice things she
did with me.  I have never forgotten her after all these
years.  I actually attribute any good qualities that
I have to her.  She taught me kindness, how to
love others and so many more things.  I've never
even forgotten her face.  I thought I'd share my
story with you and that would eliminate your
fears especially about your grandson. 

Replied By: gypsy2 on Apr 16, 2010, 9:11AM
Time to drop the family! Each has his/her own selfish wants, and expects the rest to come to their rescue. Dr. Phil has used his whole bag of tricks, to no avail. The girls are selfish leaches and always will be. There is not half a backbone between them. When they can't get what they want from their parents, they go looking for men to take over.  There are too many people out there with needs greater than theirs and I think people are sick of them. Dr. Phil has provided all the help he can but between a whiner and a person who has had 3 kids with 3 different men, it's time to drop them.  The parents don't even like each other and should divorce. BYE!

Replied By: mlapier on Apr 14, 2010, 5:31AM - In reply to jaxbarrus
ditto for me, Alex Alex  alex is number one priority in her life and is son ungrateful for what she does have.  Dr Phil gives her a card to buy gas?  She needs to stand on her own two feet.  She does not want the two children she has.  What she says and what she does are two different things.  She loves the drama. 

Replied By: loloanne on Apr 11, 2010, 6:48AM - In reply to marieallice1
Amen! you are absoulutly right.  I was young and made some mistakes.  I had a unplanned pregnancy with a man who was messed up I walked away because I knew he would not be a good father.  He wasn't a good father to his three he had when he was married and they truned out just as messed up as he was.  My son who was raised by my husband of 31years and my daughter are both married have children work and are living as good responsbile adults.  They weren't and aren't perfect but they were raised with the belief that children are a gift from God.  We are to love them and teach them of God, and how to be good citizens. 

Replied By: marianparoo on Apr 10, 2010, 11:44PM - In reply to housewife52
...mentioned a case of his where a woman just had to have a newborn by the time her youngest hit age three.

Dr. Peck felt (and I agreeded) she could not deal with children once they became children with minds of their own. She only wanted babies who would be totally dependent on her, without a mind of their own (yes, even babies have minds of their own, but not the same way that a toddler does).

Replied By: csidney on Apr 10, 2010, 9:50PM - In reply to paradoxis
I'll second that.  :)

Replied By: paradoxis on Apr 10, 2010, 5:39PM
Can we please keep this thread about the Dr Phil family and not Metalman too?

Replied By: housewife52 on Apr 10, 2010, 8:59AM - In reply to marianparoo
I feel sorry for anyone who has children for the reasons you mentioned. I agree with you too, I think it's possible that some women like the attention they get when pregnant. And I have heard of some women who like thier children when they're babies, but loose interest as they grow older. I loved being pregnant, not for the attention, but just the wonderful feeling of carrying a living human being in my stomach that was our own precious little baby. I loved the big belly, the beginnings of movement and then the strong kicking and rolling around. I didn't find childbirth itself all that bad, no I haven't forgotten the pain. But, I was a SAHM and we just couldn't keep on having children because we couldn't have afforded them.

Replied By: housewife52 on Apr 10, 2010, 8:46AM - In reply to metalman_too
I'm not quite sure I understand all that you are saying. I think the point you may be trying to get across is that people should try to get to know one another by dating and spending time together long before they have a sexual relationship. I think you may be saying that a sexual relationship gets in the way of really getting to know one another. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think that may be true with a lot of people. But the fact is, especially in today's society, that's the way things are sometimes. Some, not all, but some people rush into a physical relationship in the beginning. For some people, I think it's possible that's all they are interested in, a physical relationship, nothing else. But for whatever reasons 2 people get together, I say it is the responsibility of both of them to use birth control, to prevent pregnancy and STDs. I think that if a couple rushes into a physical relationship, and then rush into a marriage, they are taking a risk that they may be making a big mistake because they haven't gotten to really know each other and may find out that they are not suited for each other and shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. In that case, they are both equally to blame.I suppose we could all go back to the Garden of Eden, and blame women for enticing men and blame men for being weak. I choose to believe that men and women are equally responsible for thier own actions and shouldn't try to blame thier own actions on someone else. Yes, Eve enticed Adam to eat the apple, but, for me anyway, I think we are a long way from the Garden.

Replied By: metalman_too on Apr 10, 2010, 12:09AM - In reply to kathleen27
I do have a hard time relating this point but for me it is a gender issue Kathleen. Yes both genders enter sexual affairs the same but I see my role in relationship as a leader similar to leading a dance. In my mind in order for a partner to feel secure enough to enjoy dancing I believe that it's up to me to accept the responsibility and accountability for the direction and well-being of the dance. In other words it's up to me to earn a partner's trust and respect. In my relationships based on sex I could never see where I earned that trust and respect.
More then once when I was involved in a sexual affair I'd stop the sex and usually there was nothing as most would move on to somebody they'd get involved sexual again. The last woman I was involved with for years asked if I would be her friend. I can't see where that is even possible because she like most I've been involved with are after something such as marriage so they were not available for friendships.
Another woman i was involved with I would go see her with the intention of just getting to know her as a person. The shameful part about this is that sex is the only thing I liked about her. I mean even the last time I went over to help her out she was going to buy me lunch and I couldn't stand being with her that long so I turned lunch down. Sex is readily available but I got to the point where there's got to be a morning after and looked at it that way. What would the person be like without sex became more important to me.
I also see the Dr. Phil family through experiences I've been through. Erin's complaining about Marty to me has her setting the agenda and to me it's justified because he never earned her trust and respect. To me the gender difference shows up with instead of getting a male's strength she got his weakness. I've seen this same thing from females in my life and the real eye opener was watching my daughters struggles with their relationships. I know my wife wanted me to talk to our daughter once because of the males she was bringing into her life. My daughter wrote that her latest fling had been a good boy that year because he wasn't in jail and had worked for three weeks at that time. I wrote back that it's nice that he's been a good boy but will he ever be a man? By being a man I mean will he ever accept the responsibility and accountability for the direction and well being for the relationship.
Even though I agree with both genders do the same thing there came a time I became capable of asking myself if I wanted to be responsible and accountable for the direction and well-being of the relationship. I sometimes wonder about if people are supposed to be together or not because from my relationships it seems something was always learned. I feel one is better off to have a relationship with themselves first before they enter into one with another because we share life together. If a person doesn't have a relationship with them selves first they don't have anything to share with another.

Showing 1-10 of total 307 Comments