Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

Losing the friendship of your closest confidant can be as painful and devastating as a divorce. Michele and Christy were best friends for 20 years, but times have changed. Michele says Christy went behind her back and married her fiancé and father of her son! Christy says Michele has now brainwashed her stepson against her. Concerned for the 10-year-old boy caught in the middle, can Dr. Phil broker a peace between the former BFFs? And, Britney and Ashley’s friendship took a bad turn when Britney decided not to name Ashley the godmother of her newborn son. After the snub, Ashley sent Britney hundreds of texts and e-mails to try to work things out, but Britney feels harassed and says she’s not interested in reconciliation. Learn the appropriate boundaries for maintaining healthy friendships and the signs that a friendship has turned toxic.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: englishsu on Mar 30, 2010, 5:01AM - In reply to front73key
This really struck a chord with me too.  My former BFF testified against me in my divorce trial after I got angry with her for meddling in my marriage.  The fact is that I began an affair after I had caught my then-husband cheating on me.  I was hurt, angry, and flattered when someone thought me attractive.  But what happened next was so damaging I nearly died.  My then-husband tried to kill me, wanting me dead rather than have to split finances in a divorce, injecting me with air so that I had an air embolus and suffered a stroke.  He began divorce proceedings while I was in a coma, and unbeknown to me, my then-BFF engineered things so that my husband did not visit the hospital at the same time as my boyfriend.  However, when I came out of the coma and was upset that my husband had not been to see me, I became angry at my BFF for meddling and we didn't speak again.  The next time I saw her she was in court, telling the judge what a terrible mother I had been for neglecting my children to make time to see my boyfriend.  Tjhis wasn't remotelty true - I only ever saw him when the kids were in school, but the judge believed her and I lost custody of my two precious daughters, then aged 10 and 7.  Life has moved on now and I have a relationship with my children again, although it has been strained, but I find it hard to trust friends now and don't have one friend I can call "best" anymore.  Going through the divorce as a newly disabled woman was bad enough, but I didn't have anyone to support me through it either which was almost as bad.

Replied By: front73key on Mar 26, 2010, 10:03PM - In reply to nikki71671
BOY DID THIS HIT HOME....BELEIVE IT OR NOT I AM A 56 YEAR OLD WOMAN....A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS ACCUSED OF SAYING SOME THINGS THAT WERE NOT TRUE, SOME TRUE AND SOME MISCONSTRUED.....I SUFFER FROM PARKINSONS AND MY TIGHT GROUP OF 8 FRIENDS (FAMIILIES)
THOUGHT MAYBE I WAS HAVING MEDICINE PROBLEMS AND THAT  I HAD CHANGED.  I WAS SO SURE NOTHING  THAT MENTIONED WAS CORRECT I TOOK A 3 HOUR MEMORY TEST AND PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS....IT ALLSTARTED WHEN MY SECOND BEST FRIEIND HEARD FROM HER DAUGHTERS FRIEND THAT I HAD TOLD  THE MEAT CUTTER AT  OUR STORE  THAT HE DAUGHTER WAS A "n" LOVER....HE ASKED ME IF THIS GIRL WAS AND I SAID SHE WAS  DATING A BLACK GUY BUT HE WAS  VERY NICE..HE THEN CALLED HIS DAUGHTER WITH THIS MISCONSTRUED STATEMENT AND FORBID HER  TO MOVE TO FLORIDA.  ALOT OF OTHER STUFF WAS ALSO SAID BUT NO ONE SAID ANYTHING  &NOTHING  WAS BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION.  MY VERY BEST FRIEND OF 18 YEARS WAS SUCKED INTO THIS GROUP (WHO i INTRODUCED HER T0)  SHE WAS MADE BECAUSE WHILE WE WERE ON VACATION I DISAPPROVED OF  HER DAUGHTER SHARING THE LIVING ROOM COACH WITH HER BOYFRIEND (sHE WAS AROUND 17)BECUASE MY  16 YEAR OLD SON AND HIS FRIEND WAS ALSO IN THE  HOUSE.  FINALLY WOMENS INTUITION GOT THE BEST OF ME AND I CALLED T HE SECOND BEST FRIEND AND  ASKED HER WHAT WAS GOING ON...SHE SAID WE SHOULD WE SHOULD MEET FOR LUNCH...MOST OF THE DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT  HER DAUGHTER ANDTHE "N' WORD..)BY THE WAY  THIS INCIDENT  HAPPENDED LONG  BEFORE THE  BEACH.  WHY DIDNT THEY  JSUT  ASK ME THEN?  HELL I WOULD HAVE GONE TO THE GROCERY  STORE WI TH HER AND CONFRONTED THE MEAT CUTTER...AFTER ALL WE HAD BEEN FRIENDS FOR 18 YEARS AND SHE AND HER HUSBAND BASICALLY LIFETIME FRIENDS..WHEN I TOLD MU HUBBY HE WENT TO THEIR HOUSE--THATS WHEN A BUNCH OF STUFF CAME OUT(MOSTLY NOT TRUE)---MY HUSBAND CAME  HOME IN TEARS NOT SURE WHAT  TO BELIEVE...I COULD NOT REMEMBER WO RD FOR WORD BUT TOLD MY  SID E OF THESTORY TO  MY HUSBAND..I WAS EVEN ACCUSED OF NOT WANTING MY SON(HER AND HER HUSBAND ARE  HIS GODPARENTS) TO BE  AROUND HER HUSBAND BECAUSE OF ALCOHOL  ABUSE...TRUST ME IF THAT WERE THE CASE MY SON WOULDNT HAVE SEEN MUCH OF HIM AS HE DOES HAVE A PROBLELM. MY HUBBY AND i WENT TO A COUNSELOR AND HE SAID THE MAJOR PROBLEM WAS WE MENTIONED ALCOHOL TO AN ALCOHOLIC.  ALL KINDS OF CRAP CAME OUT- EVEN ACCUSING MY DECEASED FATHER OF BEING A BIG LIAR ABOUT EVERYTHING--THAT HAD NOTHING  TO DO WITH  ANYTHING AND I RESENTED MY BELOVED FATHER = WHOM ALOT OF PEOPLE LOVED AND RESPECTED  -HE ALWAYS EMBELLISHED STORIES BUT NEVER TOLD A LIE TO HURT ANYONE.  WE INVITED THEM OVER TO OUR HOUSE BUTONLY  THE WIFE CAME..TO US THAT SAID ALOT AND REALLY HURT MY HUSBAND......HE IS STILL VERY HURT THAT HE IS NOT PART OF THIS GROUP BUT REALIZES THAT WAS HIS FRIENDS DECISION.  I WAS TOLD BY THE BEST FRIEND THAT SHE HAD OUTGROWN ME AND  THAT I NEED TO GO ON WITH MY LIFE.  WE MET AGAIN WHEN EVERYONE FLEW SOUTH FOR THE DAUHGTERS WEDDING AND MY BEST FRIEND, WHO HAD BEEN DRINKING,  THAT SHE WAS NERVOUS TO S EE  ME BUT GLAD I WAS HAPPY TO SEE HER.  I WAS AND WANTED TO MAKE AMENDS BUT TOLD HER ALOT HAD HAPPENED AND WE NEEDED TO TALK....THAT WAS THE END OF T H AT....EVERYTHIING WAS PERSONABLE  SO AS NOT TO RUIN THIS GIRLS WEDDING.  THINGS STILL ARENT THE SAME-  THE ONE WOMEN STILL EMAILS  BUTPHONE CALLS FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.  WE ATTENDED EVERYTHING THIER DUAGHTER DID FROM BRITH TO GRADAUTION TO FLYING TOHER WEDDING.  THEY HAVE HARDLY BEEN TO ANYTHING FOR MY ONLY SON.  YES IT HURTS AND PROBABLY  WILL FOR A LONG TIME BUT I  WAS ESPECIALLY HURT WHEN I  HAD A
HEART  CATH AND FOUND OUT FROM A NEIGHBOR THAT SHE WAS IN TOWN AND   THE Y WERE ALL AT A RESTAURANT  MINUTES FROM OUR HOME AND NEVER STOPPED..T=EVERYTHING CAM EOTUO ALL RIHT BUT IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS PROCEDURE///.THATS WHEN I KNEW IT WAS OVER.  I DONT THINK THE KIDS SHOULD SUFFER TO I STILL SEND GIFTS AS DO THEY BUT IT IS ALL A BIG JOKE...AS THEIR KIDS ARE OLDER I'M NOT SURE IF THEY KNOW BUT WE AGREED NOT TO BRING THEM INTO IT.
I HAVE MADE MANY MORE FRIENDS SINCE THEN, BUT IT STILL HURTS....

Replied By: miakoda on Mar 26, 2010, 1:02PM
After seeing this I cried only because I was in  a situation where they friend just never called.. For me I believe when you choose someone as your BFF sure there are boundries. I also understand as a mother( of 4) that when you have a brand new baby and he/she has to be in the NICU that you want to be there for your baby. However if you cant take 1-2 mins out of your time to let the BFF that you claim is your friend and let her/him know that you are ok, then i believe you really are not a good friend...also if she is your BFF you would think that you would want the closest person you have to you right by yourside dealing with what ever it is  you are going through, HENCE the reason they are called BFF's. Again having a baby that is sick I SO GET THAT but to totaly shut your life off to the ones you clain are your life your friends.. im sorry but i feel that it is not them that has failed as a friend but the person that shut everyone out

Replied By: quinnben on Mar 25, 2010, 8:23PM
I have been so upset over the Christy and Michele show that it has taken me a couple of days to even be able to type this to you. Dr. Phil, I cannot believe how you came down so hard on Michele! Michele NEVER stated that she wanted he son away from his father. It sounds like she is way over him and sees him for what he is. She agreed with you that the boy needs to see his father. She holds no flame for this guy, admitted to you he is a snake and that it was CHRISTY she would not have her child around. Yet you still came down on her. Christy, this former friend and confidant is the one that betrayed her and hurt her to the core. To add insult to injury, Christy attacks and is jealous of his son. You can take it to the bank that she despises having to share “her” family with his previous one. Why shouldn’t she, he obviously has never been trustworthy and she committed adultery with her best friend’s husband so I am positive she has some moral compass/conscience issues.  Wouldn’t you want someone out of your life if you created this mess with them and then had to face it every day or weekend?

You gave them advice of watching the show to see what hurt and anger is right there on the surface. While I agree Michele needs to hold her head high and move on, she has the maternal instinct to protect her child and should do so at all costs. YOU WOULD. She is not the one that should have had to explain and defend herself. Of course she typed the letter for her son. She also told you more than once that she typed from notes of things he noted. You spent time, energy and money paying your staff to confer with “experts” on 10 year olds hand writing when that is so not even the issue here! She was asked by the Dr. Phil show to provide his complaints. Like any parent would, she typed it professionally and structured complete sentences to communicate to you his main issues. This is just what you would do when preparing your son for a national television show or even school projects.

Christy is what she is and I would hate to be in Michele’s shoes. However, you should walk in them for a while. What I am most upset about was your stance and hypocrisy on this entire show. I would move Heaven and earth to protect my son and would NEVER allow him around anyone that ever cursed at him, belittled him and dropped f-bombs in his presence. You have been emphatic over the years that someone would never get the second chance to hurt your boys if they were ever treated badly in the first place. You have asked the question many times in your shows “where are the parents in this situation?” and “why didn’t anyone step up and do something?”.  I can almost hear you in my head saying “if someone treated one of my boys this way there wouldn’t be a legal system big enough to put them back in that environment”. Michele has EVERY RIGHT to protect her son from this woman. You came down on the wrong person. You need to go back and watch this show as you instructed your guests to do.  

How would it go over if you had the tiniest inkling that someone treated and spoke to Avery this way? I thought so.

Replied By: nikki71671 on Mar 25, 2010, 12:09AM
This is a sad situation.  No one ever thinks that a great friendship will one day be over.  All relationships end at some point.  Actually, the last phase of a relationship is often called the moving on stage.  This phase may mean that someone dies or moves away.  It can also mean that the friendship is no longer in tact.  It is, no matter how sad, a fact of life.  Sometimes, the only thing that we can do is to acknowledge that the only person that we can control is ourselves.  That's a big enough job in itself.  There are many ways that a person can mourn the loss of a friendship.  When we look at the process of a funeral, then we can obtain some ideas as to how to come to grips with the end of a friendship.  You can write that person a letter.  You don't even have to send it.  Just write it and bury it or even burn it.  This is symbolic of saying good-bye to the last stage of the relationship.  Then, each time that you begin to feel the turmoil and the pain of the loss, then you can work on beginning to remember the times with fondness.  The most important thing that must be remembered is that the only person that you can truly change or control is you, yourself.  That is where you can recover the control that you feel that you've lost in the process of losing the relationship.  The bottom line is that the true doorway to freedom is to understand and accept that you just may have to accept the reality of the situation and take the proper steps to move forward.  Then you can find the freedom to move on, live, and develop truly healthy relationships.  I wish these people all the blessings that God has to offer.

Replied By: romancecantdie on Mar 24, 2010, 8:38PM - In reply to ncfriend411
in response to some of the things ncfriend411  - has said   The 'friend' who stole the other's fiance forgot the first rule of friendship - loyalty.  You speak as though she were a tiny child incapable of controlling her own decisions.  You stay far, far away from the man in your friends world.  That even includes exhusbands.  You simply go fishing in another pool - if you are decent.

Replied By: romancecantdie on Mar 24, 2010, 6:24PM - In reply to kimber321
kimber321  Yes Kimber you are quite right.  It is not always about forgiveness.  It seems people do such terrible (I mean terrible things - like ruining a child's life) and then turn around and blame the victims for not forgiving FAST ENOUGH.  Childhood is short - yet three years is a long time for that mother and child to be getting over it?  Get real people - stop watching soap operas where people get over things like they didnt happen. Michelle is a mother who is suffering along with her child.  If you wreck your family you damage your kids - period.  When do the bad guys start making amends?  Forgiveness takes time and it helps you to forgive a lot faster when the guilty party fixes/replaces what they broke.  If the crime is so bad that it can't be fixed, then allow the victims the time they need to grieve.  That kid has a long way to go before he starts his own family. At the moment he is living in a broken family without his father from what i understand. 

Visits with the wicked step mum (in this case we are talking about a woman who has already done damage to the child - therefore wicked in no uncertain terms) will do nothing positive for child.  He should be allowed to see his undeserving father on his own terms if he is 10 - alone if necessary.  If it turns out that his mother is such a bad parent (funny how that name gets applied to victims the of  offenders) then that will come out soon enough, or the child may have an interest in visiting the father's home at a later date.  If he isn't comfortable with that woman, then bang alone with undeserving Daddy again.  MUM SHOULD BE PROTECTING HER CHILD FROM FURTHER HARM, considering those two clowns and their behaviour.

Replied By: romancecantdie on Mar 24, 2010, 6:06PM - In reply to michelmo
reply to- mchealmo

The mother helped her child write a letter as mothers are expected to do in many situations.  She has the right and the responsibility to  help him do what he might find difficult to do - this is obviously important to the child and to the mother who clearly loves him more than those other two 'people' do.  Ths time Dr Phill missed the mark.  the people who have hurt this child are the FATHER first, and that terrible excuse for a friend second.  This second couple care about 'themselves.' The mother is protecting her child from having these same clearly selfish people doing him more harm. 

Replied By: romancecantdie on Mar 24, 2010, 5:35PM - In reply to ncfriend411
Of course it is wrong to teach a child hate.  HOWEVER it is not wrong for a mother to protect her child from someone who is not good for him, and from an individual who has NEVER  considered the child's  best iterests. The facts speak for themselves.  She wouldn't be where she is today if she cared about that little boy - she'd have stayed clear of his father.

Replied By: romancecantdie on Mar 24, 2010, 5:32PM - In reply to geezlouise
It would seem that there is much more here than a simple situations of an 'angry' mother holding a grudge. She is caring for her child! Her childs life has been affected forever, by the actions of the two people who she trusted the most.  They are the ones who have a lot of damage control to think about.  And the new mother/thief/wife has nothing to say about it - or shouldn't.

Showing 1-10 of total 67 Comments