Twitter Facebook YouTube

Archives

The 4-year-old daughter of Jesse Browning, star of Ax Men, was recently mauled to death by one of the family's pet Rottweilers. Should households with young children have Rottweilers and Pit Bulls as pets? Do you own either of these breeds and believe that, with training, they interact well with kids?

This board is now “Read only.” Visit the DrPhil.com community to continue the conversation on our new message boards!
Comments
Replied By: gypsyladybreez on Jul 2, 2012, 2:29PM - In reply to terayoung19
H I I HAVE SAID BEFOR TO OTHERS GET PROPER TRAINIG OF PITS THEY R MAN MADE AN  U JUST NEEDTO UNDERSTAND WHAT WAY THEY CAME IN THE WORLD OF OURS  THE REPORTS SHOW THEY WILL HERT LITTLE ONES ,YES THEY DESERVE A CHANCE THEY DID NOT ASK TO COME TO THIS WORLD THEY R MAN MADE AN THEY ONLE SEEK WHAT THEY R PUT HEAR FORSO FIND OUT AN KEEP PITS AWAY FROM CHILDREN  

Replied By: gypsyladybreez on Jul 2, 2012, 2:20PM - In reply to happy11
SO THAT DONT MEAN IT WORKS FOR EVERY PIT UNLESS IT HAS PROPER TRAINING BUT THATS THE MESSAGE U NEED TO GET OUT MAKE SURE THE PIT HAS PROPER TRAING BEFOR COMINNING ITO ANY HUMANS HOME BOTTTOM LINE DO WHATS RIGHT MAKE IT HAPPEN RIGHT

Replied By: busy1975 on Jul 1, 2012, 12:29PM - In reply to terayoung19
You are so right. I hate to see people adopt a full grown pet and act like they dont know this pet needs time to adjust to the family ways.

Replied By: busy1975 on Jul 1, 2012, 12:25PM
I have never known a dog to turn on a family member. Now if you bring a full grown dog into a family there is a good chance u will have serious problems. i will never adopt a pet over 2 months old.

Replied By: happy11 on Jul 1, 2012, 10:32AM - In reply to terayoung19
for some reason i couldnt finish my post,anyway our favorite story is when you go to youtube,type in miakoda,our hero and click on the puppy with the pink blanket and watch it,it will make those of you with a heart and that includes guys cry,so pls watch it with an open mind,hopefully my other post will get posted to since i dont have time to rewrite it and it explained why my kid is an expert in this field but no side will change their minds,we are all stubborn,except my daughter researched pit bulls for 4-8hrs a day 6-7 days a week for 2 yrs and kept researching them after wards and still does,just not quite as much and gave reports on them for several classes in highschool and college and do you know what the hardest part was each year? She researched the viscious story and the nanny dog stories, but do you know the hardest part for each presentation? Narrowing the stories she found down to 1 hr cause more stories on both sides popped up each year,one of the sites was the same story and several different versions and the other was several different dogs with a lot of different stories.

Replied By: happy11 on Jul 1, 2012, 10:26AM
Some folks believe they are monsters and some believe they are nanny  dogs and noone can persuade the other one no mmatter what,so its senseless to discuss this. However my kid heard all the horor stories and then met a nice pitty while volunteering in the shelter,this caused confusion.She was homeschooled under a charterschool umbrella and one of her assignments was to not just volunteer at the shelter but to also do a project and a report,the project was pennys for pets,the report she didnt know what to do,so her counselor suggested researching a breed and she eventually chose to research pit bulls. The time most of you and us spent in school or at work,she would spent on the computer researching pitbull attacks and pit bull heroes, talking to ppl who are pro and con pittys,talking to pitty trainers or trainers who had pitty clients,observing pitbulls at shelters and eventually taking pitbulls out at the shelter and researching pro and anti pitty websites and yes even dogfights and the history of pitbulls and all their uses,she spent  a minimum of 4 hrs a day,7days a week doing this for two years,mostly for 7-8 hrs a day,like i said the amoung of time,you spent at work.What did she find out,doesnt matter cause you wont belive her anyway if you are not already holding her position,she talked to ppl who were on one side of the fence and then changed their mind and she had several groups take a pitbull challenge test to see if they would recognize a pitbull if they saw it and told them to be honest and tell them how many tries it took them to get the correct one,she even had a aspca expert take it.Again results dont matter,she changed her teachers mind when a year later she gave a report on  a controversial subject in college.She gave similar reports for a long time for several classes.

Replied By: terayoung19 on May 1, 2012, 3:58PM
I have owned many pitbulls and been around alot of them.  They have been the most loving and loyal pets I have ever been around.  Dogs are no different than children, they will act the way they are raised.  I have seen aggresive pittbulls and I have seen aggresive poodles.  Its unfair to take judgment against them just because they are a common breed to fight.  I do not agree in fighting or abusing any animal!  I wish people would give them a chance before they are so quick to hate on them.

Thank You

Tera Young      

Replied By: jwolfspirit on Apr 3, 2012, 10:32PM
I currently have 6 pitt bulls. They are all family pets. My family has had pits for the past 15 years and in that time they have been around infants, babies, toddlers, teenages, elders, girls, boys, cats and lizards. There has not been ONE incident for biting, mauling, snapping or attacking.

I have a chihuahua that is more of a threat to family members and strangers then our pits. He is a sweet little guy unless he is in a mood.

I truly believe that any breed of dog can be dangerous around anyone if trained to do so.

My five year old and her pit Annie are best friends. My daughter paints Annie's toe nails at least once a week.

I will always own pits.

Replied By: realist2011 on Feb 13, 2012, 8:27PM
If any dog gets hungry, and toddler smells of food ie.,milk, cookies, etc. Dog will attack child! Especially, military dogs! Parents are to blame..abuse and neglect! Poor child!

Replied By: realist2011 on Feb 13, 2012, 8:26PM
If any dog gets hungry, and toddler smells of food ie.,milk, cookies, etc. Dog will attack child! Especially, military dogs! Parents are to blame..abuse and neglect! Poor child!

Showing 1-10 of total 337 Comments