Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

It’s a five-letter word that can come between loved ones and divide families forever: M-O-N-E-Y! Dr. Phil speaks with guests battling over inheritances and prenuptial agreements. Kathy says her father, Ed, betrayed her by losing close to a million dollars, which should’ve been her inheritance. Ed says he invested the money with his son, which didn’t turn out the way he planned and admits he wasn’t honest with his family about his financial decisions. Kathy says some of that money was meant for her children’s college funds, and she’s not sure she can ever forgive him. And, Stacy wants to know if she divorces her husband, will she be owed more than what her prenuptial agreement stipulates given her unique circumstances? Legal analyst Lisa Bloom weighs in on these money matters.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: birger on Jul 15, 2014, 8:07PM
I know this is late, I am commenting after a repeat showing, but I was so frustrated that I felt like I needed to say what I thought, more to vent than anything.  

What in the world makes Kathy think that she has any right to say what, when, how, where or to whom his money goes to.  What is wrong with people that they feel so entitled?  Grow up and fend for yourself.  When my dad died my heart was broken.  I never, ever thought that I was entitled to a single thing that he owned.  I am sickened by this women's thoughts and actions, especially that she spewed her venom to her children and they now have a twisted sense of entitlement as well.

As for the college funds for your children, that is not his responsibility, it is yours.  It is ridiculous that you expect him to pay for your kids college.  Grow up and take care of your own responsibilities.   

Thank you for letting me vent my frustrations about this show.  

Replied By: tiag12 on Jun 7, 2011, 7:02PM
Dear Dr. Phil,

Dated now some years in the past may not be worth mentioning now but I'll go ahead anyway may be some one else can protect them selves from Family disputes when Adoption comes to play.

In the mid 1920's my mother was adopted by a couple I grew up to know as Grandpa and Grandma. My Grandfather was from Greece, Grandmother from Russia; they had no children of their own. When my mothers parents died, her mom at age 3, her dad when she was 13 the Harbas's (my Grand parents) agreed on a handshake to care for my mom and her other siblingswho were pretty much to old to be adopted. My Grandfathers family was never happy about my mom nor us being in the family,  was told once: "You wish you were one of us don't you John?" I already was my Grandfather told me once he loved me most of all; I was good!

Before my Grandfathers death in 1984/85 his Niece convenced him that no one loved him and that we all left, I was told he signed over everything to his relative; we lost out on family heirlooms we grew up with. I am not sure about the money amount if any was left but the furniture which we all loved is still around just not in our homes.

I have three other siblings and a step brother who wasn't apart of our family when we knew our Grandparents. His relationship and theirs did exist except for the stories we told.

My question would be I guess if I can conjure one up would be, is there anything we can do about a contested Will now so many years later?

If you should get this, Thanks a lot in advance.

Sincerely,

John Edwards (the other John Edwards)

Replied By: mrsmac01 on Aug 10, 2010, 6:54PM
and now it is my turn to work hard for my children's future.

I don't expect my parents to help financially support  my children's education, that's MY job.

Yes the dad did some really stupid and selfish stuff, but a lot of that is between the mother and father. a I know she's trying to protect her mother, but, she seemed to create more conflict and drama than she could handle. Maybe they both need to own up to their own faults. Only you are responsible for your reactions and perceptions Kathy

(and yes, I realise this is a late comment but the show is only airing here in NZ today).

Replied By: mazzad on May 9, 2010, 10:05PM - In reply to sabot12
G'day, I'm watching too from Melbourne. He told her that he was paying for her sons to go to college, so she didn't save up to pay for it, he shouldn't have told her he would pay (and when he changed his mind he should have told her so she would know without finding out like she did). He didn't take the money from his SONS child's college fund., yet he took it from his daughter's children What kind of father tells their daughter to get a MAN to help them do mathematics and takes money from his wife? A man stuck in the gender biased early 1900's that's who, they don't believe in telling women anything either (it might bother their "pretty heads"). Seems he thinks women are beneath him and the only reason he wants back in with his daughter is because his son (the favourite) most likely wants nothing to do with him now the money is gone and she has BOYS. Men like him think their daughters are good enough to look after them in old age, but good for nothing else. Very disappointed Dr Phil din't ask him those "hard questions".

Replied By: mazzad on May 9, 2010, 10:03PM - In reply to sabot12
G'day, I'm watching too from Melbourne. He told her that he was paying for her sons to go to college, so she didn't save up to pay for it, he shouldn't have told her he would pay (and when he changed his mind he should have told her so she would know without finding out like she did). He didn't take the money from his SONS child's college fund., yet he took it from his daughter's children What kind of father tells their daughter to get a MAN to help them do mathematics and takes money from his wife? A man stuck in the gender biased early 1900's that's who, they don't believe in telling women anything either (it might bother their "pretty heads"). Seems he thinks women are beneath him and the only reason he wants back in with his daughter is because his son (the favourite) most likely wants nothing to do with him now the money is gone and she has BOYS. Men like him think their daughters are good enough to look after them in old age, but good for nothing else. Very disappointed Dr Phil din't ask him those "hard questions".

Replied By: sabot12 on May 9, 2010, 7:50PM
I know I am late with this show, but we are only just watching it today May 10, 2010 here in Australia.

It is obvious that the daughter is angry, and she is going on and on, about the money that she thinks she is entitled to.  I agree wholeheartedly with the Lawyer.  The money is Ed's to do with what he wants in his lifetime. 

Why in this day and age, where children earn way in excess of their parent's income, do some still expect to inherit ?  Here in Australia a lot of Baby boomers are selling their assets and buying a Winnebago or the like and travelling the world or Australia.  Spending the kids inheritance - I reckon thats great !!.

I am sorry, but I have no sympathy for her, she  has no right to kep her children from their grandfather, because Ed  and her brother were doing business deals.  She is jealous, and she is using this show to make Ed feel worse than he already is.  His money is not her business, not while he is living.  The man did not rape her or physically abuse her, well not that we know off !.

She can say its not the money, until the cows come home, but it couldn't be more obvious.  Dr Phil you got this one right.

Replied By: love_ya on Mar 23, 2010, 9:19AM - In reply to grandmawonder
Thanks for taking your time to respond.  I pride myself in being honest and not to live my life with regret. It will turn out..

Replied By: grandmawonder on Mar 22, 2010, 4:38PM - In reply to love_ya
All I know from living my life is that the best decisions were made by being honest to those I care about. It sounds like you have a conscience and are hurting as well. I don't know if you are close to your siblings or not? But wouldn't they sympathize that you are having your father stay and live with you? And for how long? And will you care for him at the time he passes? These are a lot of responsibilities. Also, your father sounds like he is manipulating (rationally or not) what has happened (which is not totally clear?) So yes, I do think you should tell your siblings. It's like the big white elephant in the room that nobody is talking about. One thing is for sure - your siblings will find out. And when they do (which may even come from your father as a manipulation) you will be "guilty" too, since you were not telling the truth by omission. Maybe the show that started this blog will prove to have good come of it (at the suffering of Kathy) if just one person having watched it tells the truth to the people they are suppossed to love and care about. Clearly, this father had no conscience to the daughter or her mother - you seem to - so good for you!

Take care of yourself. Also, I would encourage you to seek some form of therapy for advice- this show is entertainment purposes and brings up a lot of feelings in people as do these blogs, but no one here is a doctor.

Replied By: love_ya on Mar 22, 2010, 8:44AM - In reply to grandmawonder
I am curious. Do you think that my siblings should be angry with me? Or just disappointed?  I thought my father was sound enough to make a choice and decide what he wanted.  He was going to make the investment on his own when he was presented with the option.  Looking back...he should not have been making any big decisions..I am not a doctor/psychiatrist.  My dad thrives on conflict ...which I did not know that was who he was because I had lived away from my parents for almost 20 years. His story is different from my story. The money is not 'lost'  but tied up. He lives with us, we cook for him, do his dishes, pay his utilities, take care of any errands he may need done.  We, personally, make decent money so it is not like we are taking any more from him and when he has offered ...we say no.  He has offered almost weekly to do or buy for us.  Since we have been saying no...his story is changing from 'us' making the investment to 'you' made the investment.  I feel manipulated and I think he feels manipulated.  He said it gives him joy to give to us. It makes him happy.  But there is a price to pay.....It feels like I sold my soul..

Replied By: grandmawonder on Mar 20, 2010, 7:37PM - In reply to elizabethl
Exactly - I think you are on the mark on this one. The true emotion was with the daughter. The father sat there cold. cold fish. We've seen that type on reality TV over and over again. More than likely the father just wants the daughter back because he wants to look good. Fortunately, the daughter, Kathy looks like she is pretty strong so hopeully she has learned and will keep her children safe from her father.

Showing 1-10 of total 461 Comments