Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

The Dr. Phil Community will be undergoing maintenance tonight between 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. PST. We apologize for any inconvenience.

(Original Air Date: 03/05/10) When Terry and Laurie last appeared on the show, they said they were desperate to save their 20-year-old daughter, Amanda, who admitted to abusing OxyContin, heroin and cocaine. Dr. Phil wanted the couple to get a wake-up call about how they were sabotaging Amanda’s recovery, so he sent them home with a seven-day assignment. Did they get real about their enabling? Then, Amanda joins Dr. Phil onstage. Is the young woman ready to kick her addiction. And, get an update on 19-year-old Michael, who battles an addiction to OxyContin. It’s an intense Dr. Phil you don’t want to miss!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: rubyredgranny on Aug 21, 2012, 10:30PM
my prayers are with Amanda and her family..Amand I know it is not easy living with your family after being on your own. They love you and are trying to save your life...  I pray you listen to Brandin ashe has come so far...  My heart aches for all of you..... 
.  I am so Proud of Brandin and Debbie and I am looking forward to their show VIP recovery...  As a grandparent watching my grandson and nephew on drugs is killing our family..  I am watching your show in hopes of saving my own family....

Replied By: frida78sweden on Oct 4, 2010, 10:21AM
I'm a girl in Sweden who saw the section with Amanda now, in October 2010. Her story really touched me, probably partly because I have just over a year ago became a recovering alcoholic. This rehabilitation of abuse for young people (and in general) is something I'm really interested and would like to work with or help
I wonder how it goes for Amanda and her family today.

Replied By: frida78sweden on Oct 4, 2010, 10:11AM
I wonder how it has gone for Amanda since she was in the program
I'm from Sweden and we are one year after your broadcast in the U.S. & saw the program today (4 October 2010) It touched me very much because I have just over a year ago is a recovering alcoholic and I am passionate about these issues.

Replied By: motherofaddict on Jul 31, 2010, 1:27PM
Terry and Laurie, I watched you and your beautiful daughter on the Dr. Phil show. I  am living the same hell as you are, with 3 exceptions. I saw my dauhghter needed help while my husband was still in denial. I begged him  not to give her money, new cars ect. He was a true enabler . Others would speak to him as well. It took an overdose to wake him up. My smart brilliant daughter went into  the bathroom of a friend of mine and injected herion. My friend is a nurse she called 911. She was "code-blue" and had to be bagged. Had she been with her "friends" or alone she would have died. Eighteen Hrs. later, she was sent to one of the best "hospitals" in the country. She completed 30 days of treatment, and is now in ex-tended care. She was very home sick and begged to come home just for the wekend. The proffesional counselors did not recommend this because she is  "high-risk". We listened to the professionals. She is now accepting that she is a drug addict and will be in recovery the REST OF HER LIFE. My daughter, also 20, just completed phase one of ex-tended care and enter phase 2 . She can now work part time. After phase three she will live in a sober house. Recovery is very expensive and
takes time.There good re-habs and bad.Invest in the best for your daughter.I will continue to pray for you.Thank God for the help we have been offered.

Replied By: luvroses on Jul 30, 2010, 4:27PM
Today When I watched the "Behind the Scenes Show" I was amazed by all that is done prior to a guest appearing on the show. 

The "7 days to change" ... the "take away" from the show is that parents have to face whatever poor choices they have made in the past, how to do that, the work that goes into the letting go.  The changes they made in 7 days was no doubt reassuring to Amanda, knowing the parents had drawn a line, that they still loved her, but it is her responsibility now.

Thanks Dr Phil.  I'll watch the show with a new perspective.

Replied By: biggie59 on Jul 30, 2010, 2:41PM
I first want to commend all of you that are dealing with the issue at hand, your child with an addiction to Drugs.  It is such a  horrible time in all of your lifes.
The second thing is this is not an easy thing to over come.  Parents truly need to admit everything that is going on.  I call it Tough Love and it will be the hardest thing you will ever have to do.  We as parents want to protect our children.
Our son, now 22 started using when he was 16. We are parents that didn't put our head in the sand.  We faced it, threw him out twice.  He was in and out of rehab 5 different time. He was arrested for pot and put on probation.  DId well for about 6 months and decided he was moving out to live with his girl friend.  We didn't hear from him unless we called, never came over to visit and turned down all the invites for dinner.  We knew what was going on, so I would leave messages, remember what the judge told you, stay out of trouble for 2 yrs. and the felonies will be dropped and you will have a clean record.  Well, he didn't listen and now he is serving a 3 yrs in Department of Corrections.  Don't close your eyes to this.  My heart aches everyday I wake up and go to sleep at night, but he did this to himself and now with all this time on his hands, he can really think about what he wants to do with the rest of his life.  I also know that hitting bottom is what he needed.  We still love him and we will help him when he gets out only if he helps himself. 
i will pray for all of you!

Replied By: 8i8dancer on Jul 30, 2010, 2:24PM - In reply to deconstructor
All these kids want is to *know* they are loved and cherished just for who they are. It's disgusting that when parents screw up their kids so much that drugs are preferable to a relationship with their parents, those parents dare to label their kids as ''addicts'' aka ''broken people'' vs manning up and admitting ''we've totally LET OUR OWN KIDS DOWN''.

Nearly all the time, kids' addictions ARE their parents' fault because their parents created the holes in the kids' souls that only get deadened by addictive substances, behaviors, etc. When their parents model unhealthy behaviors like belittling, enabling, not having a clue how to be good parents, pretending things are ok when they're not, etc., it's the kids who pay the most... sometimes with their very lives.

Add in that once parents so completely screw up their relationship with their kids, it's on the PARENTS' heads to fix themselves, heal their kids, fix their relationship with their kids. Do NOT dump anything more on the kids who've already had their hearts broken clean in two by bad parenting! >:(

How about the parents get into intensive therapy. How about they sincerely apologize to Amanda for all the many ways they've FAILED her. My parents have yet to apologize and they never may. As a result, I can't let them anywhere near my heart because my own parents didn't, couldn't love me sincerely enough to sincerely apologize to me. I am forgiving them for *me* but they can only be acquaintances to me because they choose to not do the hard work of healing and getting real in life. They choose to not earn a place in my life, in my heart. Same for Amanda's parents.

Amanda, work hard with any good therapist you can find. They'll help you figure out how much your parents screwed up your perception of yourself, then how to heal all those wounds your own parents left in your heart.

Replied By: motorman1 on Jul 30, 2010, 1:13PM - In reply to deconstructor
It isn't fair to generalize.   Yes, it is a brain disease but addicts who are really doing the work do not use that as an excuse.  Many people DO benefit from12 step programs.  It is up to the addict how hard they work and how seriously they face their problems.  Programs benefit people in different ways.  Please don't judge.

Replied By: DrPhilBoard2 on Jul 28, 2010, 3:35PM - In reply to pbrown1
You can find out what the 7-day assignment involved by looking on this page. http://drphil.com/slideshows/slideshow/5665/?id=5665&showID=1424 Click on the link at the bottom right to see a video of the assignments.

DrPhilBoard2

Replied By: pbrown1 on Jul 28, 2010, 3:18PM
I would have like to read exactly what Dr. Phil told Laurie and Terry to do over the next 7 days.  A lot of us are struggling with this.  I have a 32 year old daughter who has been in many rehab's.  Nothing seems to work so The only thing I can think of is we are doing something wrong.  We need help to figure it out.  What homework did Dr. Phil give them?

Showing 1-10 of total 59 Comments