Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/19/10) One quarter of divorced couples say that in-laws are “somewhat” responsible for their marriages ending. You may not believe it, but finding a way to get along with a meddling mother-in-law or an annoying sister-in-law is crucial for the long-term success of your union. When Dr. Phil tweeted a question about in-law problems, the response was overwhelming! Now he meets with clashing in-laws Dana and Trisha. Dana says her mother-in-law is an intrusive instigator. Trisha says her daughter-in-law is cruel and cold. Meet the husband in the middle of it all, Troy, and hear whose side he’s on! Dr. Phil drills down on Dana and Troy’s marital problems. How much is Trisha affecting their marriage?  Plus, a don’t miss checklist of warning signs to look for before you tie the knot!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: nateru on Mar 2, 2014, 7:35AM - In reply to mother2013
Sorry, but you went from soft grandmother talk, to hurt, to aggressive words in one paragraph. Perhaps that is why your daughter-in-law distances her family? No one likes to be manipulated or feel like they are being attacked with multiple tactics. 

Stop and think about your actions. What if someone were acting that way toward YOU? I think you'll soon realize you need to tone down the demands and neediness, and then maybe you'll be more welcomed into your son's family. Just an observation, which you'll probably dismiss anyway. Say.

Replied By: mother2013 on Apr 6, 2013, 3:33AM
I am tired of the bad mother in law lable. My grandmother once told me that if you have a daughter, she will always be your daughter for the rest of your life, but your son will only be your son until he gets a wife. I never believed it until I had two sons. I walk around on egg shells. I never complain when EVERY holidays with me is missed. When birthdays are missed or not included in. Not invited to grandchildrens activities. The list goes on and on. What about the other side of the coin? Has there ever been a good mother or mother in law on the doctor Phil Show? Of course not. Because you need to cut those people out of your life!! What happen to family loyality? Family commemt? Whats wrong with a man standing up and saying "I love my family too!" In laws have gotten a horrible reputation, and cutting people especially family out of your life is not the right answer.

Replied By: shortie_74 on Nov 9, 2011, 8:19AM
Here, the shows are late in transmission for about 1,5 year, so I just saw this one today. I was SHOCKED with what I saw about relationships involving their own dear loving mommies... Meaning, My relationship is condemned! My boyfriend told me few days ago he put others in first place, but what he meant was really... (ta-tam....!) His MOTHER! If I could I'd ask Dr. Phil to pull his ears, but the trips to US are SOOOOOOOOOO expensive...

When I saw Dr. Phil exposing the facts, I was thinking just like this... "Damn! It's just like the situation I've been watching for more than SEVEN years! For  his poor mother I had to move from like a horse to live like a donkey!". I don't Know if there is this expression, but here in Portugal we use it all the time! (Meaning- when we live in good conditions and we move to a place with just OK conditions...although not bad, but looking more like a village than a city... starting by peoples' mentality)

I love my boyfriend, but I'm alwais arguing with him because my situation is just like the one transmitted in the show (even yesterday, my "dear" pretending mother in law just SAT between me and my boyfriend!   So, YES,  I understand Dana! The difference between me and them... I have no children! (C doesn't even Know the difference between an early pregnancy and extra weight just for letting go - I've confirmed that just by taking a glance to a pregnant lady in bikini, during this summer "She's fat, he said"  that was an obvious PREGNANCY BELLY - and because of that ignorance, has lost tons of opportunities of being a great dad)

Replied By: supadupa on Jul 27, 2010, 2:15PM
I use to have alot of problems with my mother-in-law.  Telling me what to do,  moving things in my house to where she thought they should be,  treating me like a child in front of my children,  giving to my children what i had just told them they could not have, Asking the doctor if i malnurished my ( very very healthy ) children, ect. Then one day i started to focus on all the good things about her,  she washes dishes after family meals,  she buys things for my children,  she helped us financially when we fell on hard times.  Most of all she  LOVES MY CHILDREN,  and really , who could ask for more then  extra love for your kids???  I also started to think about someday i will be a mother-in-law and i can only hope that my relationship with son/daughter-in-law will be loving and respectful.  I am sure it will be hard to give MY SON,  to another woman so i try to look at my mother-in-law as if  it were me in 20 years.    Trying really hard to find positive things about my mother-in-law has created a best -friend-like relationship for me and my mother-in-law

Replied By: anbhean on Jul 26, 2010, 12:12PM
I have to admit, I only caught the last 20 minutes of this show, but I found myself laughing and wishing my MIL was half as crazy as some of the Mothers-in-law on the show that I saw! 

I wish advice like "don't be so sensitive" or "take charge" of the situation would actually be effective in my situation.  Not that I don't feel bad for these women, but for my MIL, sending me an article on weight loss is a rookie gig she would pull in her sleep.  She's graduated into spreading rumors about our children and claiming people from hours and hours away call to complain about how bad my kids are and what a bad mother I am, or trying to (in the past) convince my husband that our children aren't his and flat out attempt to bribe him into walking out.  Or lately, threatening to kidnap our children on about a yearly basis because she feels she "is the one who should be raising them".  Yeah.  MIL hell. 

Dr. Phil was right about several things, but this one thing struck a cord in particular... It's nothing I shouldn't have figured out when she showed up to our wedding in head to toe funeral clothes and proceeded to bawl and hang on my husband the WHOLE time making "girlfriend abandoned doe eyes" at him in all the pictures.  Ugh.  The crazy stuff you overlook when you are young and "in love".  Had I seen the damage that years of this was going to create, had I known how much worse it would get, had I seen a show like this one... No matter how much I love my husband-- I would not have married him.  It just has not been worth the drama.

Anyway-- it was a really good show! :O)

Replied By: dllemke on Jul 23, 2010, 8:08AM - In reply to suzanyo
Protect the children first!!!

Replied By: dllemke on Jul 23, 2010, 8:00AM - In reply to shw0813
It's interesting how I was the only one who was honest about being difficult. Neither Troy nor his mommy were willing to take any part of the blame. At least I am adult enough to admit when I am at fault...they admitted nothing!!!!

Replied By: dllemke on Jul 23, 2010, 7:57AM - In reply to jacquee4
Poor MIL...PLEASE. She is the spoiled brat. She is mad because she in not getting her way...well boo woo. To say the kids are being held "hostage" would by definition mean you get something in return...what exactly was I getting in return??? NOTHING

Replied By: blondeangel on Jul 22, 2010, 3:20PM

I married a Jewish Man and I was Gentile and my Mother in Law hated me. She criticized everything I did and I tried so hard to please her. She put me in tears several times. I put up with unbelievable cruelty from the women in that family but my Father In law adored me. Years later I learned my husband was a homosexual. That was the icing on the cake. I have never regretted leaving that marriage. I am only sorry it took me 10 years to leave.

Replied By: inhymn on Jul 22, 2010, 6:35AM
Because the server for www.motherinlawhell.com has overloaded  (and crashed)  due to the volume after Dr Phil's show.   They are trying to get the site back up.

Sadly, ladies...it looks like we are not alone.

Showing 1-10 of total 433 Comments