Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/04/10) If you were an eyewitness to a crime, could you identify the perpetrator in a lineup? Dr. Phil tests his audience to demonstrate the reliability of eyewitness accounts. Joined by Dr. Gary Wells, a professor who’s been studying eyewitness accounts for 30 years, Dr. Phil delves into a DNA exoneration case involving mistaken identification. Loretta was 15 and on her way to school when she was brutally attacked and raped. Dean was a happy 29-year-old father of three until he was convicted of the crime. After spending 14 years in prison, DNA evidence proved his innocence. Convinced that the man she put away is the man who attacked her, Loretta struggles to feel safe now that he’s a free man. Dr. Phil sits down with her to discuss the difficult situation. Can Loretta face the heartbreaking truth, and will she have the courage to face Dean? Don’t miss this compelling two-part series about mistakes and forgiveness.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: bexbennett on Sep 27, 2013, 7:25PM
Wow I cannot believe that people cannot see that both Loretta and Dean are both victims of the same man. It is the attacker that both raped Loretta AND let an innocent man go to jail. ONLY the man guilty of this heinous crime could have stopped Dean going to prison. It is incomprehensible to me that people can blame a victim not the perpetrator for ruining so many lives! It's bad enough going thru this kinder thing without people piling more pain on the innocent. Shame on you all!

Replied By: bexbennett on Sep 27, 2013, 7:08PM
First of all I want to say to Loretta, how brave she was being there with who her brain was telling her was the man guilty of this heinous crime. That must have taken enormous strength to tell herself  this wasn't the guilty man. "You did nothing wrong Loretta, your brain was telling you this was the man and in no way are you responsible for his being convicted of this crime. The only person who allowed this man to go to jail for a crime he didnt commit was the true offender."  To Dean I would like to say you are a brave and honourable man who has lost 14 years of your life because of the true rapists actions. This man attacked raped Loretta  and then stole your life and those of your family. What an evil evil man. I hope very soon that they catch this man and put him where he belongs in prison. And for both of you I pray for healing and that The Lord will 'restore the years the Locusts have eaten.' The Lord promises that and I believe he is true to his word. I wish all of the victims of this man well and that justice will be served. Do not allow him to steal another day of your lives. Much love. 

Replied By: bravemom4 on Aug 5, 2010, 12:30PM - In reply to motherofsixgls
FIRST I WANT TO START OF BY LETTING YOU KNOW THAT I AM LORETTA AND I AM NOT HIDING ANYTHING THAT HAPPENED TO ME THAT DAY. I WAS 15 YEARS OLD AND WAS ON MY WAY TO SCHOOL AND I MISSED MY FIRST BUS AND DID NOT WANT TO BE LATE. I JUST WANTED TO GO TO SCHOOL AND COME HOME SAFE. I CANT BELIEVE THAT YOU COULD WRITE SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. WHAT GIRL OR GUY WANT TO BE HURT IN A WAY THAT I WAS. I WOULD NEVER WISH THAT ON ANYONE AND NOT EVEN YOU. I NEVER WANTED ANYONE TO BE HURT IN ANYWAY. I JUST WANTED TO GET THAT PERSON OFF THE STREET SO THEY WOULD NEVER HURT SOMEONE AGAIN.

Replied By: womanofgod09 on Jul 23, 2010, 2:31PM
This whole story is sad on both ends and the enemy really could have taken hold of both of these people's lives but the man who was falsely accused prayed the entire time.  He made mention of this during the show, which Dr. Phil did not address.  The man, Dean, who was falsely accused could have easily become angry, frustrated, etc. but he stayed focused on God and continued to pray for strength from God and still DOES!  This kind of faith is earth shaking and I wish that would have been the title of the show.  Yes these injustices happen EVERYDAY but this man's testament of faith and trust in His savior is amazing and it brought him through and still is.  Amen and glory to God Almighty!

Replied By: brynnmcdaniel on Jul 23, 2010, 12:58PM - In reply to motherofsixgls
That is very VERY unfair of you to say about her.  You were not there, you do not know her.  What awful accusations.  So quick to judge.

Replied By: brynnmcdaniel on Jul 23, 2010, 12:54PM - In reply to motherofsixgls
That is very VERY unfair of you to say about her. You are making ignorant assumptions, you were not there and you have NO idea what happened.  So quick to judge.

Replied By: motherofsixgls on Jul 18, 2010, 2:20AM
I  believe she is hiding the truth.  She lied on purpose 14 years ago to put an innocent man in jail to cover up what really happened. She was somewhere she should not have been, she was hanging with someone she should not have been with, and she had sex with that person. She made up the rape story because she knew she was going to get in serious trouble. She knows if the world finds out what really happened that day, she will have a lot of explaining to do to a lot of people.SHE HAS DONE SOMETHING WRONG!  She knows she put an innocent man in jail 14 yrs ago.And now it has come to the light. There have been other women who have accused the wrong man of raping them and DNA evidence has found them innocent.They have been on news  shows and talk shows and they all said they were sorry for blaming the wrong man.But Lorretta is the opposite. After being told the man she blamed was innocent, she wants to act as if everyone is out to get her and they are lying to her. SHE NEEDS TO TELL THE TRUTH AND SEEK SERIOUS COUNSELING! AND HOW IS IT THAT OUR LEGAL SYSTEM PUT THIS MAN IN JAIL FOR 14 YRS JUST ON HER TESTIMONY? WHAT OTHER EVIDENCE DID THEY HAVE? ISN'T THERE A LAW NOW STATING THAT A STATE AND OR GOVERNMENT HAS TO PAY A PERSON WHO WAS CONVICTED OF A CRIME $100,000 FOR EVERY YEAR THEY SPENT IN JAIL IF THEY WERE FALSELY ACCUSED AND FOUND INNOCENT? HALF OF THAT SHOULD COME FROM LORRETTA!

Replied By: truthasicit on Jul 15, 2010, 9:12PM
I wish she would stop acting like she is the only victum he's the one who lost 14yrs  because she accused the wrong person do you need to be struck by lighting  to get it dna cleared him .or do you think your smarted than the experts. Im very angry.       this happen all to often.  Give it a rest .

Replied By: eggurl on Jul 15, 2010, 8:42PM
She can just get over it - he didn't do it - does she need someone to knock her over the head with a 2 x 4 to get it thru her head that he's not the one who did that (if it really happened at all).  I'm inclined to believe she accused him of it in order to cover for her boyfriend, her husband (if she's ever had a husband), or a relative who actually did it.  She's that young and has 4 children - what does that say about her morals.  How dare she sit up there crying like a 12 year old when it's obvious Dean didn't do that to her - she needs to get over herself and fess up to the truth.

Replied By: justice on Jul 15, 2010, 8:18PM
I think its absolutly stupid that this society alows this kind of bull s**t to take place- this man was innocent and went to court for 14 years for a crime he didnt commit. i think for 14 years she should have to pay him out a fee for every day he spent in jail. NOT JUST MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT AS WELL! but both. you can never repay the time he lost. she deserves to pay and suffer just as he did. she should be penilized and punnished for taking an innocents mans life- or tied up n beaten every day for a year! gah this frusterates me!!!!

Showing 1-10 of total 111 Comments