Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/05/10) Dr. Phil continues unfolding an incredible story of a woman who was brutally raped at the age of 15. Loretta bravely identified the alleged rapist and helped police put him behind bars. But her world was rocked 14 years later when the man, Dean, was exonerated due to DNA evidence and released from prison. Dr. Phil sat down with Loretta to explain how it came to be that the man she put away was actually innocent. Presented with the opportunity to meet the man she falsely identified, will Loretta have the courage to face her mistake? Robbed of 14 years with his fiancée and children, will Dean be able to forgive? Tune in to see what’s in store for these two victims and how meeting may change their lives forever.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: ginnyjo38 on Jul 17, 2010, 11:42AM
This morning I was given a meditation that asked me to focus on a person who has managed to still love after living with horrible pain.  I had no problem at all thinking of someone.  These two people were immediately on my mind.  I hope they are still reading the messages sent,  because I want to tell Dean that his ability to show love toward Loretta is awesome and inspiring.  He has the gentlest voice that I wondered if just hearing him speak was enough to allay some of her fears.  And I want to tell Loretta that her courage in facing up to  the mistake she made was also inspirational for me.  We don't know all that she went through being raped at the age of 15 and then to learn what had been done to Dean because of an identification made during a time of horrendous stress.......I commend them both for rising above their situations.

I also commend Dr. Phil for finding a way to add softness to the questioning and the advice.  I don't believe anyone could have done it with as much love and caring as he displayed.  I will surely be looking for updates as these two admirable people find some closure to a tragic part of their lives.  God bless their families and the love they have given that has gotten them to this point.

Replied By: paterenie on Jul 16, 2010, 9:04PM
It puzzles me how Loretta was so tramatized by the rape, identified a black man; but yet found a companion, love, and comfort in a Black man...Ummmm?

Replied By: tiarachi on Jul 16, 2010, 7:18PM - In reply to annemarieqc
i believe they both wrote the book not just the woman

Replied By: kathleen27 on Jul 16, 2010, 7:14PM - In reply to doggierescuer
I know that I would be terrible identifying a person I had never seen before.  In a traumatic situation, I'd be LESS reliable, due to fear.
These line-ups have people who are so similar in appearance, be they black or white, it is very hard to be CERTAIN who really did violate you...sometimes you can pick it up in the voice, but I doubt if I'd trust myself on that one either.
Here, Loretta KNEW FOR SURE..and she was WRONG! 
That poor man.  I feel worse for him..labeled as a rapist, locked in a cage...she could have gotten help, support, joined groups for suvivors...he could do what?  await visiting day for years of wrongful imprisonment?
I hope he SUES and collects big time.  $$$ will never give him back all of those years...he is an innocent man, who was violated every day of his life, by being kept behind bars.
Sans DNA, a video,or an independent eye witness, unless the rapsit is a familiar entity to the victim,  more identities are mistakes than we would like to believe.
Loretta was raped...terrible!  The man who did commit this crime is so long gone, I feel she is safe.  It is possible he has been locked up out of State for the same thing...I hope so!
Dean is equally a victim, and the attitude of some that is "tough"...I just feel is coming from an alternate universe!!!  Married, single, shacked up, former record...it means NOTHING!  He was in jail for being wrongly accused.  I'm a WASP..I feel that anyone who has "attitude" toward Dean, or defends this injustice, in anyway, is a racist!  Only that degree of hate could not see how this is a great miscarriage of justice!

Kathleen LoVoi

Replied By: lucynwl on Jul 16, 2010, 5:26PM - In reply to badger84
They did a sketch based on her description.  Someone gave the police a tip that she looked like someone who worked in a store.  They went to the store and she identified him.

Replied By: doggierescuer on Jul 16, 2010, 5:20PM - In reply to skebo0401
She should be forced to apologize her trauma does not take away from his. His martial status has nothing to do with the show and is none of your business.

Replied By: doggierescuer on Jul 16, 2010, 5:17PM
Ok this show really pissed me off. I watched the whole thing waiting for this girl to give this man an acceptable apology. Then when Dr Phil asked her husband if he wanted to say anything I thought.. ok.. the husband will give him an apology from both of them since she seemed emotional. What a ridiculous response from the husband talking about how she will learn to accept he did not rape her. And a cop to boot!!! He should know first hand what kind of hell this poor man went through for 14 years.
If it were me I would have been begging this man to forgive me instead of acting like the victim after 14 years. Again at the end when he told her he hoped she could find the man that committed this crime she had the balls to ask for his help.
This man is an incredible person, he never got anything close to the apology he deserved and reached out at the end and hugged her.
I hope he wins an enormous amount of money for his time in jail he deserves every penny and more!!!!

Replied By: enick799 on Jul 16, 2010, 3:36PM
Wow!  This lady took away 14 years of this mans life!  She has had 14 years to try and heal from this! Yet she sits on stage an still plays the victim!  She wanted someone to take the fall for her hurt andthis poor man was the fall guy.  She needs to do time behind bars. If not that he needs to file a civil suit

Replied By: steph_flores06 on Jul 16, 2010, 2:18PM
Alot of posts say to give Loretta a break and that her rapist is still out there what they do not realize is that her rapist HAS BEEN OUT THERE. She never identified the right guy so he has always been out there unless he is in jail or prison on other charges. My heart goes out to Loretta and her ordeal is not over and may never be over. The only thing good about this story is that they do have DNA now that they can run through their system to try to identify a suspect and an innocent man was set free. So there are TWO victims in this case not just one Yes Loretta was 15 years old and I don't blame her and neither did Dean he understood what she went through and he even apologized to her for what she went through. So I think that both Loretta and Dean were both victims and they both should not be criticized for anything that they have done in this process. I think it took alot on both parts for them to face each other

Stephanie

Replied By: steph_flores06 on Jul 16, 2010, 1:55PM
I just wanted to write to let everyone know and let Dean know that I am just so glad that he has not let prison turn him into a person who was bitter and angry against his accuser. I wish that we had more people in this world like Dean. I think he is a GREAT MAN! I am truly sorry for everything him and his family has gone through and I hope God blesses him and his family for being able to forgive his accuser and for being able to have a positive outlook on his life even after everything was taken away from him. Dean you are an inspiration to us all and you show us all that we can and should forgive others that do wrong against us. I also want to say that you have a wonderful women that stuck by you through all the hard times and helped you she is a diamond. May your lives be blessed together!

God Bless You All Stephanie Flores

Showing 1-10 of total 131 Comments