Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

Alex is in the midst of a divorce, fighting custody battles for her 6-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter, and living with her new boyfriend, Tony. Dr. Phil sits down with Alex to talk about her choices in men, making ends meet and her desire to be a mom. Next, Erin joins the conversation, and Alex confronts her about a painful incident from the past. Find out why Alexandra struggles to let go of her pain and anger and why she feels her mom resents her. Then Erin reveals information about her childhood that may explain her behavior, and opens up about the state of her marriage. She’s feeling lonely and shares her struggle with Dr. Phil.

Alex shares her thoughts about the classes she's been taking. Read her blog and find out how she's changed.

Erin gets real about her attitude and her relationship with her daughters. Read her blog.

Katherine shares how her vision board helps her achieve goals. Watch her video blog.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: virtualgirl on Apr 19, 2010, 4:35PM
Erin is trying hard to make up for what she couldn't do with her own children!!!
I was raped as a young teen and the only thing my parents were concerned with was whether or not I was pregnant because of it.  They knew who my rapist was, a family member, and decided not to press charges.  I had no idea what my rights were as a rape victim.
I can relate to Alex's feelings of loneliness.  I too feel as if I am in the desert, completely alone, with no one to turn to.  My mother tried to take my child away from me.  This was due to my spending a night in jail, after being charged with public intoxication, after being thrown out of my place of resident after being physically abused.
My parent's had taken my daughter, against my requests, to Florida.  I specifically asked them to put her on a plane in Boston and they did not.  I had to get the police involved as they had taken her across state lines.  Once confronted by the police, my mother requested that I let her stay to be able to take my daughter to Disney.................What could I say???
After another night in jail, due to my partner's intoxication and neighbors who wanted us out of the development, I had had enough.  The school system in California was/is below standards and I wanted more for my daughter.  I gave into my parent's request to move back to Vermont.
It wasn't my first choice, but my daughter and I moved in with my parents, who lived next door to my rapist.  This caused quite a bit of stress for me.  I constantly worried about my daughter's well being.  I even took a graveyard shift job, just to be able to keep an eye on my daughter.
This was all while 911 was occurring!!!
I just can't help but thinking everything that my Mother was doing was to try to make up for all of her mistakes she made while raising myself and my two siblings.
She did all my daughter's laundry, getting her up in the morning and making sure she had breakfast, whether or not she wanted it.  She put her to bed when she wanted, not when it was convenient to my daughter and not necessarily when appropriate.  She would keep me out of my daughter's school issues, thinking she was helping.  Cleaning my daughter's room when she wasn't present, probably snooping, as she did when I was a child.
After a few years and at my father's request for us to move out, we did.  At first, we moved into the house that my father was building.  That only lasted a few months, as my brother-in-law accosted me physically.  Of course, he denied it and my parent's took his side.  My daughter and I were forced to move out.
I was alone again with a 13 year old daughter, who had lost all of her previously learned independent skills.  Needless to say, she was refreshed on her previously learned skills, as I had taken a part-time job.  Initially, the job consisted of 2 four hour shifts, which turned into a 60 hour a week part-time job.
I never asked for help from my parents for several years.  Now that I am disabled and on a fixed income, with my daughter in college, I have had to ask my parents for a small monthly loan ($40 - 50) . I can't help but feel this is a sign of weakness on my part because I am not able to budget my finances.  I am occasionally confronted by my mother in regards to my finances, knowing full well that my parents received monetary help from my Grandparents.  I just don't get it.
I am not a perfect person, nor are they.  We have both made our share of mistakes.  I even took my Mother to see my counselor on one occasion.  He had her in tears for my parents lack of allowing me to make my own mistakes.  All she harped on was the fact that I couldn't make good decisions.........they always made them for me.
Anyway, back to the feeling of loneliness as provided by my family.  I stand in the middle of the desert with no help in sight.   Not without strings attached, so who needs it.
I don't agree with Alex on all of her actions, but can relate to a lot of them.  Erin needs to stop trying to make up for all she didn't do for her children through her grandchildren and get back to basics with her own daughters.  Erin needs to stop meddling and start helping as a Grandmother not a Mother.
It will probably only mean giving up a few hours a day, meaning she probably won't get to say goodnight at night other than via the telephone.  Alex will need an affordable sitter for her children and Erin seems like the obvious choice.  Erin will need something to do as she and her hubby aren't getting along as well as they should.  Babysitting during the day seems to be a natural choice.
I wish Erin could be more empathetic/sympathetic towards Alex and act like a Mom not as an adversary. Alex is young and is still learning from her mistakes.  I do agree that Alex should be living alone while trying to get back into the game of "Life".  If Tony does love her he will comply.  Getting back into the swing of being a Mother will be hard enough without Tony.  Once she gets her routine down, then maybe Tony can be reintroduced.
This is my two cents......Alone in the desert is not easy, especially when your own flesh and blood is not looking out for your well being!!!  Blood is suppose to be thicker than water.............
Life is tough enough without having your family pitted against you!!!  I know from experience.

Replied By: 14212bev on Mar 9, 2010, 8:37AM
I believe that Alexandra is using her discontent with her mother to make excuses for her bad choices.  Everytime that I hear her claims of being frustrated with her mother, I say to myself, "what does that have to do with the choices you are making for your life?"  Your mother is not telling/making you have unprotected sex!  Your mother is not the cause of you choosing to go from one bad egg to the next.  Alexandra takes no responsiblity for anything "she has done".  She acts like a victim and then she sits up there and smiles and laughs at all the bad choices that she makes. Give me a break!  She needs to start telling herself the truth. She needs to acknowledge that because she has no love for herself, she's looking for it in all the wrong places.  She needs to go to the foot of the cross and repent, ask for  forgiveness, and ask Jesus to come into her heart. 

Just as her mother/family enable her, I believe that Dr. Phil is an enabler also.  I'm so glad that he set some boundaries last week, but why did it take 6 years to let the girls know that their behavior would not be tolerated?  The very 1st time that "diva attitude" came out, it should have been dealt with immediately.

Replied By: tina2010 on Feb 21, 2010, 2:18PM - In reply to blkmousp
And you think mom is going to be there  the older daughter Alex  you want mom to take care of your children that you raised .  Her days are over raising you and Katherine. All you ever do is complain   and complian that you favor Katherine everyone has needs you are not the only one. You have to take care of your own life and make your own decisions You lie to Dr Phil about you not having a baby it takes 9 months for the baby to be born you know better than that stop playing stupid You can't come running to momma everytime you have problems in your relationship none of her business  your mother. If your mom is there all the time you won't learn. Don't expect her to raise your children work it out you had your first child at 15 one at 20 and the next one at 22. Think how tough it was for  your mom to raise you and Katherine

Replied By: cadescove99 on Feb 16, 2010, 1:36PM - In reply to memoking
I first saw that video-clip six years ago. He didn't want to see her at 25, with three children hanging onto her. But, she'll already be there, at 22!  And, maybe have four, or even five, by 25! A lot of viewers are complaining about Dr Phil taking this family on again. But, maybe he waited five years too late, and should have continued working with them for another season. Instead of letting things get so far out of control that they've gotten beyond help.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Feb 16, 2010, 10:51AM - In reply to llcmal
Oh, you haven't missed just one Dr Phil show, you've missed quite a few. An entire series, in fact. Alex's sexual track record become quite evident in the course of the original Dr Phil series that ran throughout his second season. Alex began having sex at 14. She got pregnant, at 15, by another boy. And, was already pregnant, but didn't know it yet, she had sex again with the first boy. Then, two months after Nathan was born, she had sex with a third guy. So, Chris was her fourth sex partner. And, Tony is her fifth. That we actually know of. So, Alex's sexual track record isn't an "uncool" judgment. It's a fact made clear by an entire series of shows.

Replied By: llcmal on Feb 13, 2010, 11:06PM - In reply to cadescove99
I'm sorry but, I have to take issue with your comment "with Alex's sexual track record". What exactly are you basing that on? Because she got pregnant young? Because she has two kids? Society is quick to label girls "promiscuous" without having all of the facts. And, unless I missed a Dr. Phil show - I don't recall Alex telling us how many men she has slept with in order for you or any one else to make that judgement. Not cool.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Feb 11, 2010, 2:52PM - In reply to blkmousp
Six years ago, on one show, Erin's childhood issues, in the context of her emotional guardedness, were briefly addressed, but so much emphasis, throughout the series, was placed on Alex, Katherine, and Marty's issues that hers seemed to fall through the cracks, as you put it.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Feb 11, 2010, 12:25PM - In reply to b246810
I think she is. She's already told Dr Phil she wants two more children.  With Tony. So, it wouldn't surprise me if she were pregnant by him. Or, given her sexual track record, pregnant by someone else.

Replied By: iwannaneeda on Feb 9, 2010, 12:53PM
Erin needs to let go of her adult children.  Please quit enabling their behavior.  I believe that she is co-dependent. (I am in recovery for this, too) This is a behavior that I found myself to have.  We need to let our children to feel the consequences of their behavior. 

I really feel for Erin.  Heck, I think I am  very similar to Erin.  But, I don't know if I would help Alex get custody.  She chose a man over her children.  She needs to prove that she is ready to be a mother.  I believe that Alex needs instensive therapy before she should be allowed custody of her children.  She made her choices, and her children were not her first choice.  However, she knew that Erin would be there for her children. 

For Katherine, I hope that her probation officer keeps close tabs on her.  I think that she needs to be scared straight.  I am not convinced that she is drug free.

Just my 2 cents.  I will be watching and responding next week.

Replied By: marianparoo on Feb 9, 2010, 1:05AM - In reply to audles
I would say just the opposite. Alex's behavior is far worse, because she has no problem deliberately putting a child (hey, two children!) in danger.

That trumps drug use any day,

Drug use is illegal.

Child endangerment is immoral in addition to being illegal.

Showing 1-10 of total 234 Comments