Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/21/10) Dr. Phil and special guest Dr. Jim Sears, pediatrician and co-host of the Emmy Award-winning show, The Doctors, tackle five childhood behaviors that often leave parents feeling frustrated and without any sense of what to do. Has your child started stealing? Do you have a picky eater, a bossy tween or a daughter who throws tantrums over what to wear? Has your child developed a sudden intense fear or phobia? Do you wonder if you’re picking the right battles? Tune in as Dr. Phil and Dr. Sears reveal the parenting dos and don’ts when dealing with these difficult parenting dilemmas.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lawless37 on Jul 30, 2012, 9:35AM - In reply to cadescove99
You queston was why did she have a phone she is only ten?
If your child is in trouble one day and alone or someone has tried to take her in a truck,van, whatever
you might be glad a cell phone could save her/his life
think about it  ,it's another way to be sure our kids can reach us.

Replied By: lawless37 on Jul 30, 2012, 9:30AM - In reply to godonney
I don't believe in forcing  kids to eat stuff they don't like. take a look back  when u were a kid
most kids don't like certain  veggie like  spinach,tomatoes,salads etc and
I have to tell you I would throw it up
when I was a kid ..got sent to my room for that one lol
  However  the point I'm trying to make is I now love spinach salads, tomatoes etc  as I grew older
and as an adult today it surprises me I'm eating the foods I hated growing up I think we do try to give our children healty foods (well  some of us do) I do think we all need to experience food and for a kid our taste is not thiers and when they gett older some of that which we put on the table will sink in
Make pasta,make your own pizza at home BBQ hamburgers  ,that way your making something they all like
and stop going to the fast foods places it's not healthy ,I think if you tell your children tonight were going to have hamburgers...they will show up at the table with a smile: thanks for reading hugs to all moms who really have a hard time in these days!~

Replied By: lawless37 on Jul 30, 2012, 9:00AM - In reply to sfrank4047
Your very smart and sounds like your a great parent, too bad u were not mine lol
my parents said oyou don't like what we cooked, took the food away I went to bed hungry
when it came to clothes--we wore what she put out the night before and that was that
I remember going to school and being very sad all day'
like I said your daughter is lucky to have you go at least half way with her
let her see my message please : thumbs up mom (I assume your mom lol) 
I treat my great gran daughter better much they way you do yours
much more healthier hugs

Replied By: sfrank4047 on Jul 26, 2010, 9:22PM
This is in regards to the show that aired on the CW, July 26, 2010 about "Biggest Parenting Mistakes parents You Don't Know You Are Making". Original Air Date: 01/21/10

I would like to share some ideas with Vicki, mother of 7-year-old daughter, Raelee, who does multiple wardrobe changes and is particular about how her clothes fit. I fully  understand this mother's frustration and hope that you will please forward this message to her.

To avoid the difficulty of picking out an outfit for the day, multiple changes of clothing, and arguing between mother & daughter in the morning before school... Have your daughter pick out her outfit the day before (maybe after dinner every day). You do not want to have her pick out her clothes right before bed because this will only cause anxiety and arguments before bedtime. If necessary set a time limit if she is consistently undecided when bedtime comes. (Also, depending on the weather in your area, you may want to have her check the weather for the following day so she dresses accordingly)

Then in the morning have her get dressed after she eats, brushes teeth, etc. This will help eliminate the "wet spot" on the shirt so she will not have to change. If she must change set a time limit so that she is not late  for school. If she is consistently putting an abundance of clothes in the dirty laundry have her help do the laundry. 

To avoid having an abundance of clothing in her closet that she does not  wear... Have Mother-Daughter shopping days.  Use this opportunity to  spend one on one time together and also teach good shopping & spending habits. 

Set a spending budget and allow your daughter to pick out her own clothing (age appropriate of course).  Show her different prices on clothing so she will be able to see what items cost and what things are worth.

She may decide she wants one article of clothing that meets the budget and the key here is to not break the budget if she wants more.  She either needs to spend her own money that she earned by doing chores (have one of her chores be helping out with the laundry), decide on different items that are less expensive, or wait until the next mother-daughter shopping day to purchase more.

Also have your daughter go through her closet and pick out the clothes that she does  not wear and have her donate her clothing and/or take it to a consignment shop.  This will teach her generosity and if she earn any money from consignment have her use the money towards clothes that she picks out on your mother-daughter shopping days.

Have her organize her own closet and dresser. Have her put away her own laundry  This way she knows where everything is and feels ownership over her clothes which  will lead to her taking good care of her clothes and appreciating what she has.

Ways for your daughter to earn shopping days are by displaying appropriate behavior when choosing her outfits for the next day and not  arguing with you about clothing.

If she asks your opinion about what she is wearing or about an item she wants to purchase.... respond by asking  *if she will wear it multiple times,
*if it is comfortable,
*if it will match other items in her closet
*have her try jeans on with her shoes so she is able to see if  they fall right over her shoes,
*have her sit down to make sure pants are not too short,
*and whatever other nuances that pertain to her

... and then if she still wants the item tell her that if she is happy with the item then you are happy with her decision. Assure her that she looks beautiful and that you are proud of her decisions and how well she has been doing getting ready. 
Resist the temptation to tell her if you do not like the style, fit, etc... Let her explore her individuality within the boundaries you have set for age appropriate clothing and the budget.

I have personally done all of the above and our home is a much happier home in the  morning and we are able to spend quality time together opposed to arguing and starting the day off bad.  My daughter aspires to become a fashion designer some day.... I believe that dream will come true for her.

Good luck and hang in there!  I will pray for you and your daughter to have peaceful mornings.

SK

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 21, 2010, 2:03PM - In reply to mburch
After letting Dr Sears suggest that picky eaters be given their own way, Dr Phil said "they'll eat the place-mat if they're hungry enough". Which he has said in the past, while advising parents to refrigerate anything their picky eater refused to eat and reheat it for the next meal. Until hunger put the kibosh on their picky eating.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 21, 2010, 1:52PM
Why did they ever give her one, in the first place? She's only ten!

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 21, 2010, 1:49PM
Haley seems awfully "old' for a child of ten. Too busy micromanaging her parents' lives to even be a child. She should back out of their personal adult business and enjoy her childhood while she's still got one.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 21, 2010, 1:42PM
Vicki and Raelee both have way too many clothes. So, it's no wonder they have such a hard time getting dressed. And, if Vicki doesn't 'get it" that she's taught Raelee, by her own example, to be so "picky" about her outfits, I'll bet she's the only one. Even she went through a lot of outfits, getting dressed for the show, because of her weight issue. And, chose really well. That outfit made her a look a lot thinner. Both of them need to "weed" out their wardrobes. Vicky should keep her most figure-flatteringoutfits and donate the rest. And, maybe keep a couple pair of "sweats' for "knocking around" the house. Then, she should "weed" out everything Raelee isn't willing to wear. Jeans too dark-wash? Or, long? Donate them. Along with the socks that show above her shoes. And, everything else she isn't willing to wear. Narrowing down her wardrobe until choosing an outfit is easy. And, no longer overwhelming.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 21, 2010, 1:16PM - In reply to mburch
I also disagree with Dr Phil and especially Dr Sears in their "answer" to parents of picky eaters. Dr Phil gave better advice before he started relying so heavily on such  "experts" as Dr Sears. His past advice to parents of picky eaters was to put what they wanted their children to eat in front of them. And, if they didn't eat the food, put it in the refrigerator until their next meal. Then, reheat the food and serve it again. Now, along comes Dr Sears and Dr Phil's singing his "let them pick their own food and they'll eat something nutritious" tune. But, just how "nutritious" is a PB&J sandwich? Especially if it's all the child is willing to eat. Most peanut butter has added sugar, often in the form of high fructose corn syrup. And most jams and jellies are also sweetened with HFCS.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 21, 2010, 12:53PM - In reply to getrealtime
I love it. It should be Dr Phil's mantra every time he's dealing with new parents, before they get started off on the wrong foot. And, for those who already have, he should tell them not to continue with something they can't live with later.

Showing 1-10 of total 116 Comments