Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

An urgent drama has Katherine, the youngest daughter in the Dr. Phil Family, reaching out for help. Although she prides herself on being a strong young woman, she's suffering from a medical mystery that causes her so much pain, and she says she can't work or go to school. To help determine what's causing her extreme pain, Dr. Phil teams up with The Doctors and sends Katherine for a workup at UCLA Diagnostics. Then, Dr. Phil sits down the 19-year-old to find out her responses to accusations made by her mother, Erin, and Alex's soon-to-be ex-husband, Chris. The conversation brings Katherine to tears, and she storms out of the room. And, Katherine receives a very upsetting phone call from her father, Marty. Find out what he said and why the teen is ready to move out and away from her family. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lacrimosa1980 on Sep 3, 2010, 9:17AM
I saw the show today and I understand why Katherine run away from dr. Phil.

Katherine made a very good comment which I totally support! dr. Phil sitting there with his photo's and only telling about the so called "wrong behaviour", attacking her. I wonder what dr. Phil is expecting from her?? What would you do if someone only mentioned the "wrong behaviour", litteraly telling you that your behaviour is not an 8?? I really don't understand this approach?
The funny thing is that dr. Phil says when she left the show that Katherine has a temper at that moment...a temper??? She wants help, i suspect she hurting, she missing someting, doesn't feel loved and has the feeling that nobody understands her...
That was not a temper she was showing, that was bewilderment!

The comment she made was: Why don't you show us some photo's where my behaviour is good! 
Exactly!!!  

Morality and values are something personal and in my opinion dr. Phil thinks he is the God in the morality and values and everybody has to live that way! And I find it a very sorry approach and it has a big tunnelvision in it.

Why is she hurting that way? In my believe is to help someone is listen to the other person without given your own opinion. (Which dr. Phil does all the time) Because your opinion is not relevant at that moment. It is important to listen and hear what the real issue is....don't forget that words like love and hurt are very big words and everybody thinks his or her way about these words. Find out what love is for the other person and you'll be suprised what the other thinks about that. Most likely different then your thougths about love...and then you listen...

Good luck everyone! Life is beautiful! All the time.

With kind regards,

Hanneke

Replied By: fredettec1 on Jan 27, 2010, 1:36PM
I watched this episode,as I do most, and I felt compelled to share my similar story and maybe give insight. I too have had suffered many years (9now) w/abdominal(and pelvic)pain for many years. I'm now 32yrs old. I've seen many Dr's, and have had many tests. The list goes on. However, my primary referred me to a new OBGYN(thank god!), and he thought I may have Interstitial Cystitis. So I asked my primary what to do next- he then referred me to a urologist. He ordered the test my OBGYN said to have. I tested positive for this so they prescribed Elmiron.It has helped so much. I also have fibromyalgia , SI joint dysfunction and CFIDS.  I hope they consider checking her for this(IC)because if she has this and gets treated with Elmiron her quality of life could be improved tremendously. I never accepted depression as the answer to my chronic pain. I didn't give up hope or my battle with this mysterious pain. I searched every Avenue(doctors,library,Internet,friends,family,etc) It was a long road and although there is no cure there is relief.

Replied By: templinjim on Jan 26, 2010, 8:28PM
Hi Dr. Phil,

I'm just wondering where you stand on twelve step programs?  Would you consider using some of the tools used in twelve step programs?  It seems like they might be extremely useful in working with the Dr. Phil family.

Thanks,
Jimmy Templin

Replied By: mamabear214 on Jan 26, 2010, 8:55AM
Dr. Phil,

My  daughter is about to turn 16.  She has been suffering with the same symptoms as Katherine since the age of 7.  I am watching anxiously to see her diagnosis.  We are about to start going to the Nephrologist again because of the severe kidney pain that is being experienced by my daughter.  It is frustrating so spend years with your child in pain and be unable to even know what the real problem is.  Infections, kidney stones, blood in her urine, pain.  I am so happy that you have decided to help Katherine find out what is wrong and to make sure that it is aired on national tv.  Thank you.

Replied By: sassy95648 on Jan 25, 2010, 8:37PM
DR PHIL
I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS SHOW WITH THIS FAMILY SINCE DAY ONE. I NEVER THOUGHT CATHERINE WOULD BE ACTING THE WAY SHE IS. I THOUGHT SHE WAS THE SMARTEST ONE IN THE WHOLE FAMILY. I FEEL SORRY FOR HER. SHE KNOWS A LOT MORE THAN WHAT SHE IS SAYING. AND I BET YOU ONE THING, THE FATHER IS THE BLAME FOR ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THIS FAMILY. I SAID A PRAYER THAT YOU WOULD ADOPT CATHERINE WHEN SHE FIRST APPEARED ON YOUR SHOW. SHE IS A GOOD GIRL THAT NEEDS YOU TO HELP HER GET HER HEAD STRAIGHT AGAIN. SHE IS HIDING SOMETHING VERY SERIOUS. YOU WAIT AND SEE. THE MOTHER IS NOT HAPPY EITHER. AND LIKE I SAID IT WILL ALL COME OUT. I LOVE YOUR SHOW DR PHIL. IT HAS TAUGHT ME A LOT. I UNDERSTAND A LOT OF STUFF I NEVER DID BEFORE. IT'S TOO LATE FOR MY FAMILY. MY FAMILY IS A BIG MESS. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT SHOW EILEEN BIST

Replied By: canadianna on Jan 24, 2010, 2:55PM - In reply to itsme62zzz
Bad parenting stays with us for a lifetime.

Any individual can choose to wallow in self-pity or rise above the worst of childhoods and make something of their lives.Alexandra and Katherine have been given everything from prepaid college educations to the best money can buy to some of the best professional help in the country (through Dr. Phil and his colleagues). They have thrown everything back in the faces of those who care about them. They lie, steal and cheat. They break the law. Katherine is on video kicking a defenceless dog. Alexandra abandons her children for some guy she just met. I don't think either girl is "bad". I think they've made some pretty tragic choices and I hope they are able to accept the help that's offered, make amends and build a good life for themselves. The choice is theirs and nobody else's.

I do not agree what they do is anyone's fault but theirs.

What we do and how we handle our problems in our adult lives is GREATLY dependant on how we were raised. Sure some people turn out okay but way TOO MANY don't!

"Turning out okay" is a personal choice.

Children who ARE abused grow up to be abusers, some grow up to be abused. Not all but too many.

That is a very sweeping and inaccurate statement.

Erin was abused as a child. She is emotionally detatched from her own children.

The term "emotionally detatched [sic]"  is one that can only accurately be applied to an individual by a qualified psychologist following a full workup.

I object to seeing medical diagnostic terms bandied around so lightly.

One daughter IS an addict, another daughter cannot make a decision of her own to save her life. I can't help but to wonder if the inconsistant manner in which they were raised ( saying one thing, doing another ) has caused a severe case of Borderline Personality Disorder.They do seem to be on the path of SELF DESTRUCTION. They also seem to have the fear of abandonment asociated with BPD.

Please see above comment.

I would also add that  Dr. Phil (who is fully qualified and does know what he's talking about) says,  their behaviour is that of addicts.

Before anyone says anything I DO have experience in dealing with the mentally ill. So I call them like I see them!

Calling them like you see them is expressing a personal opinion and is not to be confused with a professional assessment. Anyone other than a fully qualified mental health professional with full access to the individual's profile has no business diagnosing anybody.

In this case it's the effect of BAD PARENTING!

At what age do you believe an individual who has had "bad parenting" can be expected to accept responsibility for personal choices and get on with her life?

Alex at the age of 15 was a symptom of a sick family structure. A minor, Alex at 15, CANNOT give consent for sex.

Apparently there are at least three also-underage males who would disagree with you. Since this was never made into a legal issue, are we now going to examine points of law?

Erin and Marty didn't step up to the plate and make the boy pay for raping their daughter.

If it's statutory rape you're talking about now, you may wish to read up on this before blaming Erin and Marty for the "rape" of their daughter.  Here's a hint:  if the boy(s)  was/were even one day younger than Alexandra it is Alexandra who would be the rapist. Do you have accurate and verifiable information that the boy(s) with whom Alexandra had sex when she was underage were older than she was at the time?

Yes, that's all in the past now but it sent the message that it was okay to have premarital sex to Alex and Katherine.

I do not agree. 

Replied By: tleighb40 on Jan 24, 2010, 2:15PM - In reply to canadianna
I believe Erin needs to get a life.  These are grown women not little girls she is trying to control.  it is too late to raise them now. I can not believe Dr. Phil allows all this DRAMA on his show.

Replied By: canadianna on Jan 24, 2010, 12:54PM - In reply to itsme62zzz
Don't you watch the previews?

Haven't seen the one you're talking about, no.

Next week Erin says to Dr Phil that what she has to say "will hurt Marty". She says She "succombs" to something.Now what could she be confessing to that would hurt Marty? What could she "succomb" to?  Most people would come to the conclusion of an affair. Gee, if it is then can't she remember how SHE felt when Marty had an affair!?! How hurt she was? Then she has the nerve to go do the very same thing! Yep!

Whatever it is Erin wants to talk about in front of millions of viewers on national television is up to Erin to talk about. She is a fully functioning adult who (as far as we've been told) has never abandoned either of her children to let some shack-up move in with her.

What is the point you are trying to make, anyway?

Alex and Katherine are probably to blame for that too! Right?

Whatever it is Erin wants to disclose, she is telling the truth and accepting full responsibility for what it is she's done.

The same cannot be said of either Alexandra or Katherine who seem to think they can lie their way out of any mess they create (not any more, girls).

In what way are you suggesting Alexandra and Katherine are "probably to blame" for Erin's decision? Or are you being sarcastic?

Many thanks.

Replied By: momisme2 on Jan 24, 2010, 6:22AM - In reply to canadianna
What is your suggestion to "supervise" the average 15 year old sufficiently to prevent unwanted pregnancy?

Im quite curious about that,  myself!  LOL

In all seriousness though, I think the best you can do with your children and the whole sex thing is be open honest and completley frank with them while you give ALL kinds of info about protection and safe sex.  The whole "just say no!" thing doesent work and in this day and age, its like playing russian roullette with your children if you dont arm them with knowledge!  I also feel to "demonize" sex is the wrong way to go.  Teens(and people in general seems to me) want nothing more than they do that "forbidden fruit".   I know many will dissagree with me on this but ive seen this over and over with my daughters friends.  The kids who have been told "just say no!" and have been made to feel they are bad for enaging in sex are the ones who are the most promiscuous AND have sex without protection.  Something my daughter has gone on and on to me about... she just cant believe several of her girlfriends dont at least use condoms... not to mention condoms and b.c. pills! 

Replied By: canadianna on Jan 24, 2010, 4:59AM - In reply to itsme62zzz
Yeah, I'm sure she would rather be with whomever it is she's going to be admitting she had the affair with!

What on earth are you talking about now?

No one put a gun to her head to make her pay ten grand for a wedding!

Ah. So, now it's Erin's "fault" that Alexandra was given the "princess" wedding she wanted? Not forgetting this is to the man Alexandra now claims abused her from day one. Hmm. What a very interesting perspective.  Which I think misses the point entirely.

Her and Marty's FAILURE to supervise their 15 year old daughter allowed her to get pregnant

To paraphrase your own words, nobody held a gun to Alexandra's head to have unprotected sex at the age of 15 (not so far as we've been told).

What is your suggestion to "supervise" the average 15 year old sufficiently to prevent unwanted pregnancy?

Then they chose NOT to have the boy arrested for statuatory rape! That is ONE situation Alex should have had NO say in! That is strictly up to the parents!

So, what you're saying is it is now also Erin and Marty's "fault" that Nathan's father was not arrested because Alexandra permitted him to have sex with her; he was apparently one of many sexual partners she willingly had while still under age; should they have all been arrested too?

So go ahead and call us "Erin Bashers" if you wish.

If you read my words, you will see I am calling nobody any name(s).  I am saying the personal insults and harsh criticism posted here against Erin are unfounded and unfair and miss the point of who is responsible for mess made of so many innocent lives: namely, Alexandra and Katherine who for some reason are not supposed to take responsibility for what they've done and continue to do.

As Dr. Phil viewers we are probably months behind what is actually happening in everyone's lives and hopefully things are improving. Let's hope so.

Erin is not the perfect little mother you seem to think she is.

Please direct me to where I have said Erin is "perfect"? Let me save you the waste of time in finding them, because they do not exist. However it is not Erin who abandoned either of her children to shack up with some guy she just met.

By her own admission she has made many mistakes . Difference between her and her daughters is that she owns up to them and is doing what she can to help repair her family. The same cannot be said of Alexandra and Katherine who not only deny they have done anything wrong, but  think the laws they have broken don't apply to them. 

By your words, nobody held a gun to Erin's head to post bail for either of them. Had she let them stay in jail, she would be called "controlling". By bailing them out again (literally) she is accused of being "interfering" and "manipulating".

Go ahead and keep blaming the young women who were victims of bad parenting by Erin and Marty

At what point does an adult stop blaming her parents for "bad parenting" and take responsibility for their own lives?

There is a wonderful story of a child born into  dire poverty. Raped by a relative at a young age. Consistently sexually abused for years.  Parents living apart and nobody really taking any interest in her. She had a stillborn baby as a young teenager. Did she blame her parents for the awful situation she was in?  She certainly could have if you accept that adult's choices are the "fault" of the parenting they had.

Who was this little girl? Oprah Winfrey pulled herself out of that situation with sheer hard work and a college education. A huge task and a whole lot harder than whining about "bad parenting".

. Soon the truth will come out.  I guess there is a double standard here. It's OKAY to "BASH" Katherine and Alex but how dare we say anything about Erin or Marty.

The truth is already out.  And I do not agree it is bashing anyone to tell it.

Beginning with: everything we have seen Erin and Marty do for their daughters has been done with love for them. The same cannot be said of Katherine and Alexandra.  I hope those girls put themselves into a rehab program where they will learn one thing they need to do in their recovery process is to make a list of everyone they have harmed, and be willing to make amends to them all.

Showing 1-10 of total 175 Comments