Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/14/10) Do you ever lie? Dr. Phil gets to the bottom of why people tell tales and how to put an end to the falsehoods. Erin admits that lying to her ex-husband, Eric, destroyed their marriage and ultimately led to their divorce. Is she ready to be honest, or is she still hiding the truth? And, can this couple rebuild their trust and make their relationship work the second time? Next, Dr. Robert Feldman sheds light on the different reasons men and women are dishonest. Then, Michelle was engaged to a man who she believed was her soul mate, until she became suspicious and hired a private investigator to find out the truth. Can she ever trust him again? Dr. Phil offers advice for how to change your relationship with a liar. And, Dr. Phil shares Tweets he received of lies people have told. Is yours one of them? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: hatechildabuse on Jan 24, 2014, 5:12PM
My brother has lied his entire life the only time he has spoke that we have been able to prove he told the truth was the time he recently stated he and his girlfriend was denied membership to a local baptist church due to my brother having a current wife and taking his girlfriend before the church to join shows both their lack of good judgement and the fact they were so stupid to go around telling they were denied membership my brother who could not get out of 7th grade alternative school so he goes around telling everyone he is a ex NFL football player and that he graduated a local university where he states he played football none of this is ever been possible he literally ride the short bus to and from school and is finacially draining my Dad's bank accounts!

Replied By: deceivednlost on Dec 5, 2011, 9:04AM - In reply to pbringazi
sound like a very honorable man from experience as a woan lied to cheated on an hurt to the very core of the soul ill tell you this it proble wasnt you from the sound of what you was saying she was hurt very badly that she couldnt trust anyone else again an sounds like what would of been best what i should of done "good at giving advice just not taking it" is have got some counsiling worked through the trust issues ao that the next relationship with another person gets a fair chance and isnt paying for the wrongs another has done to them!!!!!!

Replied By: deceivednlost on Dec 5, 2011, 8:55AM - In reply to montrealca
what baffles me is how they can do it so candidly an not even care who they affect or gurt in the process simply amazes me!!!!

Replied By: deceivednlost on Dec 5, 2011, 8:49AM - In reply to kellyhusband
Hi,

I had got on here an was looking through what to do with or how to work with someone that constinly lies, I came accross your message on the message board an it was about identical to my situation other than the years youve been dealing with it it has been way longer with my situation! I was curious if you guys ever worked it out or went your own ways or if you are still in what to me is a never ending cycle how i feel and how you portrayed it to be in your message to with your situation! I can totally relate to loving someone and being tired of their lying and deveiving an addiction an then another thing that struck me you wrote is the same thing i think about to amongst alot of other things is what will happen to him if i make him leave but i am to the point now where when is enough anough i know im enableing him because i say one thing an threaten an never follow through so i was curious as to where your relationship is what path you chose how you handeled it an so fourth?

Replied By: lostintay on Mar 25, 2010, 7:49AM - In reply to kellyhusband
I kind of know where  you are coming from. I am currently in  marriage of 9years to a woman that has a really bad lieing problem. In the beginning she was great ( she wouldn't leave the room without telling me where she was going) but now she lies to me about everything . It started out with I'm going to the store with our daughter and going to my mother in laws instead  where she wasn't suppose to be with our daughter. Now she is getting in trouble with the law for stealing from our daughter's school and where she works. She was able to hide them from me for awhile until she got convicted of the first and was put on probation. She continues to claim that she had nothing to do with either of them.    In the 9 years we have been married she has lost numerous jobs then lied to me about why  then later on have people that work there tell me the real reasons why. I did leave with our daugther  about 3 years ago for about 9 months then we got back together since it appeared she had seen the errors of her ways. Since then things have continued to get worse. I have been thinking of leaving her again but i am afraid that she will end up on the streets and not be able to support herself.

Replied By: abolim on Mar 20, 2010, 5:26AM
Even after the first time I watched this particular show, I felt that Dr. Phil spent far too much time chastising Erin and not enough time on Eric.   This mismatched couple, and at the root of Erin's belief that she had to resort to deception, is all on Eric.   He's older and he's the one who has been giving Erin so many mixed signals that, quite frankly, I don't understand why she's still dealing with him.

Worse still, why is Eric still seeing Erin?   I think that his lies are causing all of this chaos and he derives some kind of sick pleasure out of seeing Erin dance on a string for him.    Erin has been clear from the start...she wants children.   Eric has been deceptive by doing this "maybe...someday...I don' t know" routine from the start.  ERIN...put this guy in your rear-view mirror and find a man who wants to be a husband and dad.  You will waste decades of your life waiting for Eric to make up his mind.  IMO, the truth is that he wants you to be his mommy.

Replied By: sanjuangal on Mar 19, 2010, 6:53AM
I couldn't stand Erin the first time I saw this show and can't stand her yet!!  To lie about being on birth control is "entrapment"  He should run.................she's needy and if and until she grows up, she'll continue with this behavior. 

Replied By: kristen102 on Mar 19, 2010, 12:49AM
I disagree that all lies are bad.  Most definitely are, but I believe it is relative and situational.  What about responding to a woman who just went through 13 hrs. of painful labor to her question, "Isn't he just beautiful??"  And me saying, "No, he looks like every other newborn which to me look like unformed human larvae."   Wouldn't saying that be awful?  No only would that be horribly hurtful, I might get slugged in the face!  Or how about attending a formal dinner party, seeing an elderly friend there dressed up in her finest clothing, and instead of saying something like, "My, you look splendid tonight!", saying "You look like such a wrinkled old prune, why do you even bother?"  Or how about to a child who has presented some artwork she worked so hard for hours, be told by her parent, " No, your colors are all wrong, and you aren't very good."  She would be crushed, and probably never pick up a crayon again.  This is very different from an art student getting a professional critique by an art professor before receiving a final grade.  What a great misservice it would be to a the student if told she was a the greatest artist ever, when she needs to improve?  

By secretly not taking the birth control pill and lying to her husband, the woman in the episode commited a terrible breach in trust with her husband.  They both need to honestly take a look at what they really want and expect from each other, without question.  They may not be for each other. Her type of lying and misrepresentation is in a whole other serious catagory, and should never be committed.

Replied By: montrealca on Mar 18, 2010, 10:09PM
The woman who lied to her husband about using birth control has in my opinion someone who xould be classified as a sociopath (anti-social personality disorder). A sociopath deceives, takes what he (or she) wants, and hurts people without any remorse. Sociopaths don't feel guilty. They don't feel sorry for what they've done. They go through life taking what they want and giving nothing back. They manipulate and deceive and convincingly lie without the slightest second thought. They leave a path of confusion and upset in their wake. They live a parasitic lifestyle using and manipulating people for their own selfish needs without any regard for anyone else.

Run like the dickens my friend.

Replied By: rdmacnab on Mar 18, 2010, 8:26PM
Run, as fast and as far as you can.  This is the advice that I have for Eric.  I was in a marriage that wasn't nearly as deceptive as the one that he was in, for 15 years.  I have been happily remarried for the past 6 years and wish that I would have cut my losses and given myself a chance at happiness much sooner.  I wasted many years.  Especially since he is already divorced from her, he needs to cut the chord and move on.  He will not be sorry, but may be if he waffles and ends up back in a relationship with this lier.  I, personally, don't allow liers to be in my life - unless they are family (by blood).

Showing 1-10 of total 83 Comments