Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

The latest challenge for the Dr. Phil Family is Alex's custody battle for her 6-year-old son, Nathan, and 2-year-old daughter, Leilah. Nathan has lived most of his life with his grandparents, Erin and Marty, but now that his father wants custody, will a judge remove him from the only home he's really ever known? Next, Erin reacts to her critics on the DrPhil.com message boards. Then, Chris, Alex’s soon-to-be ex-husband, has tough questions for her. See her impassioned responses. And, Chris' mom joins the show and expresses her concern about the bruises found on her granddaughter, and Chris reveals new information about the marks. Plus, Dr. Phil has a strong message for both grandmothers. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: conniejackie on May 17, 2010, 3:38PM - In reply to judybug45
Your bigotry disgusts me! I was 15 when I had my first child. I am now a happily married mother of 5 kids. The fact that you insinuate that a 15 year old can not be a good mother is discrimination, age discrimination!
I am a very good Mom to all of my children. Granted Alexandra isn’t being a very good Mom at this time, and may never be. For you to say that 15 is too young to have a child and that when “that” happens the “baby” should be put up for adoption is completely outlandish!
If you put an age on “what is too young”, then you should also be open to “what is too old” to have children.

Replied By: firecaptain on Jan 25, 2010, 4:20PM
Watching the custody battle over the children of the Dr. Phil family brings out my feelings...It seems that the courts will always give more credit to the Mother than they will give to the Father... I have personally experienced this...40 years ago, a divorce forced me into a custody battle...As a result, I got custody of my two sons, and raised them to become very successful and loving adults...During the entire process I was forced to continually defend my life, while my ex was never required to contribute anything for our sons...I have noticed that even on your show, it appears that no matter what the Mother does, everyone assumes that the children will b e better off with her...I think that in the modern world, more consideration should be given to allowing Fathers to raise their children...Fathers can and will assume the responsibility and give the love that will contribute to a healthy family life...In the case on your show, it appears that the Mother has all the resources of Dr. Phil while the Fathers have to battle against all those resources...That is not a fair battle...

Replied By: judybug45 on Jan 16, 2010, 3:56AM
  Six years ago when The Dr. Phil Family first aired, I remember saying to my sister that I hope they go back in about 5 years and see what  the situation is then. When Alexandra had the baby, everyone was so excited and happy. What's so wonderful about a 15 yr. old, unmarried girl having a baby?  Now, instead of that little boy having a stable, loving family  to raise him, he's living in this mess with angry, unstable peop[le fighting over him. What's wrong with adoptiom? Then, Alex would have had the chance to figure out what she wanted to do with her life!

Replied By: above_all_love on Jan 14, 2010, 3:22PM
Alex... make your marriage work!  Looks like you all are both at fault.  You are living in adultery while you are someone's wife (like it or not).  YOU HAVE A HUSBAND & your husband wants to make it work.  Your daughter needs her mom and dad together.  You said vows to your husband for life.  So.. he made some mistakes.. you can't point your finger at him.. you have, too.  You will not find one guy who is perfect!  Go to marriage classes.. repair your marriage.. ppl can change.. even after an affair.. your marriage could be better now than ever, but you can't continue pointing fingers.. you all are both at fault.  You don't want to look back with regret.  I would much rather try to repair my marriage - in whom you said vows to, then to be with a 3rd guy.  You all could have a beautiful family.. providing you allow your husband to prove himself and you also change.. it takes BOTH!  Nothing is impossible.  God can heal all marriages.  Take care!!

Replied By: tripletmom4 on Jan 14, 2010, 8:17AM - In reply to housewife52
Replied By: housewife52 on Jan 14, 2010, 3:39AM

Well, an interesting thing happened to me. Initially I was all opinioned-up and couldn't get logged on to the message boards. Now that I am able to log on, I find that I feel different. It's not that I don't care, it's just that all I feel now is sympathy for all involved. I hope this family can get things resolved and find some semblance of peace. I hope things work out for the small children involved in the best way possible. I wish for the adults to be able to come together, and work together in the very best interests of the children. I no longer feel the need to place blame or critisize anyone. I am sorry that these family members ended up in this situation to begin with, and I am thankful that, so far, I am not in their situation.

Replied By: Tripletmom

I agree,  everyone involved is going to have to interact with each other for a very long time.  Evenually the children will have recitals, back to school night, parent teacher conference, sports, graduations, weddings and one day Alex and Chris will be grandparents.  There has to be peace, respect and a common ground for all involved, there is no way around it.

Continuing with the hate and pointing fingers will just make their lives and all involved miserable.

I wish them luck and hope Dr. Phil can get that through their heads.

Replied By: getrealtime on Jan 14, 2010, 6:09AM
We see what kind of adults these two grandmothers produce can the kid do much worse?

Replied By: housewife52 on Jan 14, 2010, 3:39AM
Well, an interesting thing happened to me. Initially I was all opinioned-up and couldn't get logged on to the message boards. Now that I am able to log on, I find that I feel different. It's not that I don't care, it's just that all I feel now is sympathy for all involved. I hope this family can get things resolved and find some semblance of peace. I hope things work out for the small children involved in the best way possible. I wish for the adults to be able to come together, and work together in the very best interests of the children. I no longer feel the need to place blame or critisize anyone. I am sorry that these family members ended up in this situation to begin with, and I am thankful that, so far, I am not in their situation.

Replied By: candicearizona on Jan 13, 2010, 10:47AM

There but for the Grace of God go all of us. I may not have walked in the families exact shoes but if you have a family, it has faults. Any of us who have teens (lucky enough to be adults now) knows that we can't control what happens to our teens always. We can teach, guide, console, pray and show them how to live by example but sometimes it doesn't always work out. I am in Erin's corner as a mom and I feel her pain. She has been challenged non stop by these two girls and it is never easy. They are living their lives out in front of us where all of us can second guess their decisions, blessed are we who are not called to make the same decisions for our own families. I have had many tough choices with 4 children who are all now adults. Like Dr Phil always says......."you did what you knew best and when you knew better, you did better"

This family is in the safest places it can be, with Dr Phil helping them. I applauded him with the preview of next week's show when he gets tough with Katherine. I pray for this family and hope they all survive their struggles. Be thankful if you are not in their shoes as well.

Candice in Arizona

Replied By: memoking on Jan 13, 2010, 12:12AM
After watching the Dr Phil Show on Monday, Jan. 11th, I am wondering why Erin is surprised that Nathan's father got custody of Nathan.....after all, she supported Nathan's father in getting custody of Nathan and went against Alexandra during the court fight. .. This was mentioned from the beginning, that she would not back Alexandra in getting her kids, and that she would support Nathan's father in getting the kids..... so she shouldnt' be surprised that Nathan's father got Nathan. Also, she acts so disappointed, but if she had supported Alexandra getting the kids, then Alexandra probably would have gotten the kids.
It also is a good point that someone raised, "why is Erin being shown on TV as the one who has lost custody of the kids, why not Alex? Why is Erin being shown as being so disappointed? They are Alex's kids, I think it would be a bigger disappointment to Alex...since she is their mother.
As for Alex, I do BELIEVE her that Chris was abusive to her in their marriage, and I do believe that she should not get back together with him. I don't know why he wants Leilah so much, he was in prison, and he was not around.....I understand his mother wanting to help out, but I think that Erin and Chris's mom should try to get along better.
Still, I think the whole thing is messed up, because Alexandra is the mother of the kids.
And even Nathan's father is in school going to college, plus working, so he needs help to raise Nathan. I hope this all will be resolved successfully... Alex should realize that she doesn't have her kids, because she is not fighting to get them.
IF she wanted them, she could do the right things to get them back.

Replied By: tripletmom4 on Jan 12, 2010, 6:20PM - In reply to shrimpety
Replied By: shrimpety on Jan 12, 2010, 1:51PM
  Nathan's father is Nathan's father and he has a right to his son and to be able to parent him. I am glad to hear a court finally gave a father his child. 

I get where your coming from and if Nathan was employed, on his own and attending anger management classes then I wouldn't have a problem with the decision.  But from watching some of the shows I can't say there is any need to celeibrate either of these two getting custody.

It's pretty said to think that the court has control of saying who has the right to anyones kids, unless there is abuse involved.  Many times ground rules are set in stone by the court regarding custody , visitation, and support.  But after that depending on the individuals these rules can be adjusted to accommodate the children and the other parent.  No matter what the court papers say, it is pretty sad to think a parent would denieda visit if requested  by the other parent or child just because a certain piece of paper say so.

To simply say the court  awarded the child to a certain parent is portraying the child as a piece of property.  Kids should never have to suffer from their parents divorce and never be denied visitation.  Most of the time custody is fought over because of support payments and or control.  As long as both parents are balanced then I don't see why custody shouldn't be split 50/50 with no support payment.

Both Alex and Chris are acting immature and full of hate.  The only thing I see happening with  assigning custody of these children to either parent,  is using them as tool to control and hurt the other person.  They have a long way to go before they can call themselves a parent.

Showing 1-10 of total 55 Comments