Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

Are you a parent who is over- or under-involved in your child's life? Dr. Phil talks with a self-proclaimed Helicopter Mom, a Free-Range mother and two experts to help you find a happy balance while raising your kids. First up, you won't believe what happened to Lori when she let her 10-year-old son walk to soccer practice by himself. Next, meet two moms with opposite parenting approaches: Kristen lets her kids walk to friends' houses on their own and make their own mistakes, while Beckie says she can't imagine letting her kids walk around the neighborhood or even to the school playground unattended. Find out what Dr. Phil thinks. Then, Linda Murray, editor-in-chief of BabyCenter.com and Dr. Michele Borba, a parenting educator and author, share the pros and cons of different parenting styles. And, Dr. Phil checks in with Teresa, who became known as America's Most Over-Protective Mom. Find out if she and her daughter, Ashlee, who's now 18, are getting along better. Talk about the show here.

To Spank or Not To Spank? Read Dr. Phil’s blog and weigh in!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jptwins on May 10, 2011, 4:49PM
My husband and I struggle with how to get the kids motivated with their schoolwork this year. They entered 10th Grade and have always done well in school, but this year we had to constantly be on them about doing their work and working to their potential. I saw on DrPhil that he said that they need to find their own motivation to keep up with their responsibilties. My question is HOW? we have set reasonable goals for them, we keep them home during the week except for recreational activities, we have disciplined them with taking weekends,phones everything, If we did not stay on them I think they would just let their grades go by the wayside. These are the critical years for grades for college and this is when they are letting it all slip away.They both talk about going to college and are both very intelligent but are lacking the self motivation to work toward it. Any suggestions? We have run out of ideas and feel lost. we know they will regret messing up now when it is time to go to college. Help.

Replied By: rgrswife on Jan 17, 2010, 7:31PM - In reply to melcharvez
SHAME ON YOU!

Replied By: rgrswife on Jan 17, 2010, 7:30PM - In reply to lee9807
EXCELLENT!  Agree 100%

Replied By: rgrswife on Jan 17, 2010, 7:28PM
After watching your show Dr. Phil and the excerpt regarding spanking, I would never, in a million years allow Linda Murray, editor-in-chief of BabyCenter.com, and Dr. Michele Borba, author of The Big Book of Parenting Solutions, even to babysit my children or grandchildren.  Two examples of what I call "bean sprout" ideologies and neglectful parenting styles.  Shame on you for endorsing such lax styles in parenting in this day and age and for representing these two people as "experts".  Please ready my blog on the opinion of Dr. T. Berry Brazelton.  THAT was a doctor who knows how to parent.

Replied By: rgrswife on Jan 17, 2010, 7:23PM - In reply to kashamaria
EXCELLENT!!!

Replied By: rgrswife on Jan 17, 2010, 7:20PM - In reply to duckman820
Agree with you 100%!  What's it going to take to get through to some of these people???  Unfortunately, it's their children who are going to pay the price of their stupidity.

Replied By: rgrswife on Jan 17, 2010, 7:16PM - In reply to yoshiyoshi
Well said.

Replied By: teezr9svibe9 on Jan 10, 2010, 5:21PM - In reply to ziggy2009
I too was abused. I was educated either.  I now have a 3 1/2 year old and I am trying not to be to hovering.  I am scared though.  Very scared and I wonder how you found the balance?

Replied By: yoshiyoshi on Jan 9, 2010, 2:05AM - In reply to tigerstripes
You're right, why should pedophiles and creeps have to bother with taking a child from their bed. Why not make it as easy for them as possible, by just sending them out into the world alone? I don't see what your point is, the chances are more likely a child alone would be kidnapped then a chlid at home in bed. So a few times a child has been taken from their bed, I mean are you against children sleeping, what?

Replied By: melcharvez on Jan 8, 2010, 5:46PM
I was relieved to hear that I am not the only mother that doesn't hover though I was a little concerned that there were other mothers that hovered less than I do. I too let my boys walk to school,their friends,the store etc...but than again there are two of them. They always have to check in and there are long reminder talks on the importance of being independant and what it entails. I consider myself a young mother ( I am 31). Although I don't want the fear of what could happen to stop my children from living I do want the fear of what could happen to make them think before acting. I do think the mom's were too laxed you have to find that middle groung

Showing 1-10 of total 37 Comments