Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

Dr. Phil texts in to the show to prove how communication is changing. With technology that allows people to connect through cell phones and computers, through texts, blogs and tweets, no one talks anymore! Even Dr. Phil admits to getting into the act. But how much is too much? Is your family so “wired” that you find out dinner is ready via a text message? Hear from an attorney who says what you post online could be used as evidence against you -- especially in a divorce. And, a teen turns in her mom because she says her mom is so addicted to texting and communicating on Facebook, that she puts the entire family in danger. Dr. Phil gives the new media mom a wake-up call. Plus, meet a 13-year-old so obsessed with his mobile phone, his mother had to call the sheriff on him! How young is too young for a cell phone?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cadescove99 on Dec 17, 2009, 12:25PM - In reply to sharonkaye1
Your daughter sounds like a real drama queen. If she pulled that "I don't want a phone" crap on me, I'd smash her phone with a hammer and never buy her another one.

Replied By: partyprogramca on Dec 16, 2009, 4:30PM
I run a non-profit program called the PARTY Program (Prevent Alcohol and Risk Related Trauma in Youth) so your topic today is not only timely but important for your listeners to pay attention to.

We run 60 Sophomores through a 4-hour hospital based program that walks the students through the path of an injury survivor.  The students talk to real trauma survivors who talk about how their lives have changed.  They participate in hands-on activities that simulate brain injury and go to the ER where they are walked through an ER process.

The feedback that we are receiving is beyond what we initially hoped for.  Almost 1005 of the students say that the program has changed the way they think about taking risks.  It is a great program, so, it was also great to see you tackle at least one of the issues that puts our communities in danger.

Thank you!

Replied By: sharonkaye1 on Dec 16, 2009, 3:06PM
After watching the show, I decided to check my 16 year old daughters texting and phone usage.  While I was aware that she loved to text, I was astounded to see that in 27 days, she had over 20,000 text messages.  She was also texting during school and until 2am on a school night.  I accessed our account and paid the $4.99 to establish parental controls and time locks.  Her phone is now blocked during school hours and from 10pm until 6:30am.  She is also only supposed to use the phone after 9pm and on weekends except for 3 of her friends who are on our friends and families list.  Now when she reaches 100 minutes above and beyond this, both she and I will receive a text message.  When she came home from her friends, her dad and I asked her to sit down so we could talk and we barely got started when she started screaming and crying.  She didn't wait to hear anything other than the phone would be blocked during school and beginning at 10pm.  She is currently in her room crying and saying that we don't love her and are taking everything away from her.  My husband is so tired of everthing being a major crisis with her.  We raised two boys and neither of us remember having the types of problems with them that we are constantly having with her.  As she stormed out of the room, she said she didn't want the phone if that was how we were going to do it so I turned it off and put it away.  I told my husband that if the restrictions that we put on the phone caused that type of reaction, then she obviously needed a vacation from the phone anyway.

Replied By: dragondoodle on Dec 16, 2009, 2:56PM
I think Dr Phil hit it on the head when he said that obsessive texting, in otherwards, being rude to the people who are around you and driving while texting is a classic sign of low self esteem. The lady who was ignoring her children reminded me of my friend Nancy, she's successful in business but has a certain emotional void about her. She's obsessively texting and answering business messages even on the way out of town as we take off on vacation. It's gives her a sense of self importance to know she's needed. She gives the people around her snippets of her all important text message showing how she's needed by her business associates. I find it really sad. She's a beautiful woman and if she focussed on giving herself and her heart to those around her she'd reap the rewards of loving relationships. Instead, I find her boring to be around andwe're irritated by her lack of manners and inability to connect or give emotionally. What these people don't realize is that people in positions of great power know how to prioritize jobs, they know how to be successful and part of that is making the person you're with in person feel like you've got their full attention. By making others feel good, they attract more success. It's the people in lower ranks that need that feeling of importance, unfortunately when they cling to the power of the toy, they just look like loosers. I think this is very common behaviour among people in their 20's and 30's, I try to stay away from people who are all-self important. They tend to have very little to give.

I hope those who are glued to their cell phones find happiness one day, until then I hope our law enforcement can catch them before they make criminals of themselves by causing accidents on the roads.

Replied By: tiger0301 on Dec 16, 2009, 2:48PM
I think there is a place and time to txt. Please let us think of our safety and the safety of other people. I pulled over on the side of the road if I think that I need to txt urgently. I don't have facebook, but if I do, I will do it at home and not while I am driving. I am a single mother and very busy, but I will not make an excuse like she said.

Replied By: tiger0301 on Dec 16, 2009, 2:41PM
I think there is a place and time to txt. Please let us think of our safety and the safety of other people. I pull over on the side of the road if I think that I need to txt urgently. I don't have facebook, but if I do, I will do it at home and not while I am driving. I am a single mother and very busy, but I will not make an excuse like she said.

Replied By: tjevans on Dec 16, 2009, 2:09PM
I have to tell you that there is no age. This like so many other things your family will go through depends on the individual and your family as a whole.  You may want to ask yourself some questions.  Is my child responsible? Am I willing to do what it takes to keep track of what they are doing on the cell?  Is my child going places where there is not a phone available to call from?  Are they being exposed to potentially bad situations?  Are they going out partying?  Is there adults present when they go places? Are they driving?  Are they walking alone after school? ------ There are many questions that you as a parent need to address before you give them a cell, I do not feel that there is a defimate age because everyones situation is differant.

It is very similar as to when my oldest daughter asked me how old she has to be before she can date.  My reply was "when you and I both feel you are ready".  The same goes for a cell when you and your child or children are ready.

Replied By: robynmiller on Dec 16, 2009, 1:56PM
Dr. Phil,
I'm 49 yrs old and yesterday the guy I was dating broke up with me by text.....
I was shocked a grown man acted this way.
THANK YOU For doing the show today. Robyn

Replied By: countrymom03 on Dec 16, 2009, 1:55PM
I just joined because of todays show..I disagree with Dr Phil to SOME extent. Some people do get addicated to it but there is a percentage that doesnt!!! And as far as meeting people off the internet I met my fiancee of the internet in 2005 and met face to face after talking about 2 months and have been happy ever since! I am on facebook somewhat alot and i text alot but it DOESNT control my life so the saying each to his/her own!

Replied By: creativegenius on Dec 16, 2009, 1:49PM
I have been a sales clerk for years and currently rent out cars to customers. The paranoid customer and cell phone talking customer are the hardest to deal with. People on cell phones are the rudest. They get angry when I'm standing quietly waiting for them to get off the phone to ask a question. When I ask questions during their conversation, they are not listening and always come back furious cause they don't know where the car is parked, or failed to get a map, or do not understand a charge on their rental agrement cause they were not listening the first time they were at my counter. I had a woman yell at me cause I dared to interupt her converstion to ask if she needed a map or directions. Another man hung up his phone as I was speaking and then dialed up a new number to start talking again as I finished my car brand options. I heard from an airport cop that a woman hit his car while talking on her cell phone (the police car was parked in front of the terminal and not moving), shut off her phone, came outside where he presented a ticket for not paying attention, and then gets back into her car to talk on her cell phone. He joked, Sorry I interupted your conversation but you just hit me. One car rental counter manager put up a sign stating "No cell phone usage at counter". She said it is effective. Granted these people are the minority, say 1 out of 20 people I deal with, but the ones I have the most arguments with that could be avoided if they were listening. 

Showing 1-10 of total 33 Comments