Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

The holidays are upon us, and that means Santa Claus is coming to town, but so are obnoxious relatives, gifts you have no use for and drunken co-workers. Dr. Phil and etiquette expert Peggy Post have answers for handling uncomfortable situations at end-of-year festivities. First up, Sharlene wants to know if it's OK to re-gift items she's never going to use. Dr. Phil producer Justin shares how he learned the hard way that people don’t appreciate recycled gifts. Next, Violet and Tony want to know how to compromise about whose family to spend the holidays with. Then, how much is OK to drink at the holiday party? And, Robin shares her ideas for Christmas on a budget from her new book, Christmas in My Home and Heart. Plus, find out thank you note and hostess gift etiquette, when to tell your kids the truth about Santa Claus, how much to tip and more!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: marianparoo on Dec 24, 2009, 2:47AM - In reply to sansmile
Different Jewish communities have different ways of celebrating the holiday.

You are speaking for your community only.

Replied By: BrianX29 on Dec 16, 2009, 6:16PM
   Regifting is a very very very good idea. I never would have thought of that  if I hadnt seen Dr. Phil do a show on it.   Im gonna try that this year
Thanks Dr. Phil

Replied By: sansmile on Dec 16, 2009, 11:01AM
Dr. Phil, you should have asked someone Jewish before answering this question.  Presents are the least important feature of this holiday.

First, parents need to explain to their child the religious meaning of the holiday that they celebrate.  Parents of any religion could explain the Chanuka is primarily a holiday celebrating Religious Freedom and the Rededication of the Temple, with the help of many available picture books. 

Second,  most Jewish children do not receive a gift every night of the eight nights, and many of the nights the gifts are practical. PJs and Socks, for example.  Also, the sixth night of Chanukah is  a night for charity.  The celebration of chanukah is mostly about lighting candles each night for 8 nights, playing a game called Dreidle with candy or coins, and eating foods cooked in oil.

Replied By: nic1733 on Dec 16, 2009, 7:11AM
This is in regards of the "do I tell the truth about Santa" questions...well, my kids are only 3 & 1 so this hasn't even come up yet, but I do know what I was told as a kid (and as an adult).  My mom answered everysingle Santa question with one word...MAGIC!!!  How does Santa deliver presents to every kid? Magic!  How does he get down the chimmney?  Magic!  How do the reindeer fly?  Magic.
If I ever questioned his existence my mom would say "okay, don't beleive in Santa and see what happens!"  I am 37 years old and if I asked my mom today if Santa was real she would dare me not to beleive!
I am from a non-religious family (my inlaws would cringe to hear that) so Christmas for us is not about celebrating the birth of Christ...it is about family and food and...you guessed it...MAGIC!
So when my kids come home and say little phillip told them Santa is not real I will tell them, oh well, guess little phil won't get a visit from Santa then (that;s okay 'cause little phil grows up  to become a successful doctor and talk show host one day!)
Nicola Pridmore

Replied By: maureenkj on Dec 16, 2009, 5:52AM - In reply to sinz717
I loved this show... just learning about how other people answer the same issues we all have.

My kids are grown now, but we taught the pretend version of Santa.  Kids LOVE to pretend anything, and they thought it was fantastic to put out cookies, imagine the trip down the chimney, everything. But our words were always sprinkled with "Let's pretend to write Santa a letter" or "When you wake up we're going to pretend that Santa was here to leave presents!"  When they talked about it with other kids the conversation flowed nicely, as kids often drop the 'pretend' when they talk to each other. When they were old enough to ask questions we could answer honestly - "Yes, you're going to Grandma's today because Daddy and I are Christmas shopping so we can pretend Santa on Christmas Day!" For us, it worked out with no problem at all.

The most precious reward was my 4-yr-old daughter clutching the new Cabbage Patch Kid, and she wrapped up in my lap and said "Thank you mommy, I prayed for this all night."

Replied By: singstarsaffa on Dec 16, 2009, 5:28AM - In reply to lassengirl
Erm.... there is about as much evidence for Jesus as there is for Santa, which is ZERO.

Adults with imaginary friends are not cool.

Replied By: singstarsaffa on Dec 16, 2009, 5:25AM
I am not telling my six year old that there is no Santa, but then again I am not telling him that there is no God yet either.

I am hoping that my child is intelligent enough to find out about these fairy stories for himself when he gets a little older.  If he does ask me though, I will tell him what I think, and that everyone needs to make up their own mind.

Replied By: lassengirl on Dec 15, 2009, 3:47PM
I watched the entire show waiting for even one mention of the religious meaning of Christmas and never heard the words "Baby Jesus."  For anyone who worries about "not having a Christmas,"  show up at any church about 11:00 p.m. on Dec. 24th, and you can have all the Christmas you could possibly want.

We never taught our children the Santa myth.   They knew the Bible story of Jesus birth.  I don't believe in lying to my children, or confusing them by trying to teach Santa and Jesus.  If Mom is lying about Santa, is she lying about Baby Jesus?

Replied By: hugmayant on Dec 15, 2009, 3:21PM - In reply to pcmom01
Are you SERIOUS??? Lol, go to the show, maybe you will be lucky just like we were that day...we were lucky and appreciative, like Dr. Phil said on the show, "why be such a buzz kill???" LOL

Replied By: abberlabber on Dec 15, 2009, 12:31PM - In reply to sfagenterica
AMEN!!!!!!

Showing 1-10 of total 87 Comments